Mother's 20 year empty house has been getting a 2x standing charge due to 2 electricity meters

It was vacant for 20 years, only electricity used was for the boiler. Its disgusting that there is any standing charge for any of us at all, getting charged double seems criminal. Im onto the ombudsman atm.

Comments

• Slumbershade
    Slumbershade Posts: 667
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mostly venting, Im onto the ombudsman for a sperate issue with EDF, but just realized the property is getting a double standing charge. Shes was with EDF for 20 years without switching on the... empty property, so the ****** have been doing it for 20 years. I want to ideally get a 20 year refund, but wishful thinking eh. It sohuld be illegal.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 15 May 2022 at 11:22PM
    We all have to pay a standing charge if the supply is still connected. Someone should have told the electricity company that the supply needed to be disconnected before now.

And if the boiler was used (as you said "only electricity used was for the boiler") then somebody will have to pay for the electricity so used as well.

All gas and electric companies issue standing charges (and to be honest, I agree with you - we shouldn't have to pay them) and in that case, I don't really think you are going to get anywhere with the Ombudsman. Sorry.

More to the point though - what's happened about the council tax on a property that's been vacant for twenty years?

Shame it's been vacant for so long, though, your family could probably have rented it out so it earned its own keep, so to speak.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,732
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Theres a cost to maintain the infrastructure to deliver gas/electricity to a property which is the same regardless of how much/little is used (see also telephone lines)

You could have no standi g charge but then youd pay more for the power you use
  • If you can afford to leave a property empty for 20 years then you should not have any issue paying the relevant charges.

Absolutely no excuse for not being on top of the issue.

Sorry, there is no blame elsewhere, either you or your mother should have sorted the problem.
  • Slumbershade
    Forumite
    edited 16 May 2022 at 9:54AM
    But there shouldnt be two standing charges per customer, she was obviously unaware of it, and as was I until now. Two standing charges seems like a mistake that the company should have brought up.
  • Slumbershade
    Forumite
    MalMonroe said:
    We all have to pay a standing charge if the supply is still connected. Someone should have told the electricity company that the supply needed to be disconnected before now.

And if the boiler was used (as you said "only electricity used was for the boiler") then somebody will have to pay for the electricity so used as well.

All gas and electric companies issue standing charges (and to be honest, I agree with you - we shouldn't have to pay them) and in that case, I don't really think you are going to get anywhere with the Ombudsman. Sorry.

More to the point though - what's happened about the council tax on a property that's been vacant for twenty years?

Shame it's been vacant for so long, though, your family could probably have rented it out so it earned its own keep, so to speak.
    no Idea what hapopened with council tax in those 20 years, its halted now though.Thrugelmir said:
    But there's been twenty years to get the other supply disconnected......... Who was responsible for that ? 
    its split into two meters for the whole house, and no, why would the customer assume there are two standing charges for one property, I dont think its the customers fault at all.Andy_L said:
    Theres a cost to maintain the infrastructure to deliver gas/electricity to a property which is the same regardless of how much/little is used (see also telephone lines)

You could have no standi g charge but then youd pay more for the power you use
    There is no way anyone can argue that there should be two standing charges for both electricity meters on one house.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 May 2022 at 10:06AM
    But there shouldnt be two standing charges per customer, she was obviously unaware of it, and as was I until now. Two standing charges seems like a mistake that the company should have brought up.
    You are simply making assumptions and accusations with no foundation. Wasting peoples time costs us all money. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback