What prices should I expect to just fix a cracked hip tile?

Just that, thanks. Going to ask for quotes now.

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Bungalow or three floor town house ?
    If it is close to the bottom of the roof, you may find someone willing to do it from a ladder for £200. If it is going to need scaffolding, you might get away with £1000.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • greenface2
    greenface2 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    is it needed . Is it causing a problem . Can it wait until there is something to do 
  • Slumbershade
    Slumbershade Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    FreeBear said:
    Bungalow or three floor town house ?
    If it is close to the bottom of the roof, you may find someone willing to do it from a ladder for £200. If it is going to need scaffolding, you might get away with £1000.
    Thanks Im getting scaffolding sorted soon anyway, but yeah its not high up. Any idea how much considering this image, is worse than I recall!

is it needed . Is it causing a problem . Can it wait until there is something to do 

Yeah I just foudn the photo and its worse than I thought!
  • Slumbershade
    I just got a 255 quote and am going to take it, I think thats pretty decent.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    That isn't a cracked hip tile - You have a couple of slates missing that need replacing before the weather turns nasty.  You also appear to have a chipped slate (third one along on the right, just above the gutter).
    £266 doesn't sound too bad. Try and get him to use reclaimed or new Welsh or Cumbrian slate, not that cheap Spanish or Brazilian stuff (it only lasts a 5-10 years).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Slumbershade
    FreeBear said:
    That isn't a cracked hip tile - You have a couple of slates missing that need replacing before the weather turns nasty.  You also appear to have a chipped slate (third one along on the right, just above the gutter).
    £266 doesn't sound too bad. Try and get him to use reclaimed or new Welsh or Cumbrian slate, not that cheap Spanish or Brazilian stuff (it only lasts a 5-10 years).
    The chip doesnt seem bad enough to casue ussues though? and thanks.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They look like eternit roof tiles to me, And not fitted correctly from day one.
    if you look close you can see holes in the bottom of each tile, the should be held down with copper rivets.
    while he is replacing the missing tiles get him to put some felt underneath 
  • Slumbershade
    plumb1_2 said:
    if you look close you can see holes in the bottom of each tile, the should be held down with copper rivets.
    Asbestos sadly. Am oging to try a new roof if neighbour lets me put scaffolding on their side
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    plumb1_2 said:
    Asbestos sadly. Am oging to try a new roof if neighbour lets me put scaffolding on their side
    Have you had them tested?
  • Slumbershade
    plumb1_2 said:
    plumb1_2 said:
    Have you had them tested?
    No, but several roofers have said so.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport