Car V Bicycle claim

My son was involved in a traffic collision yesterday morning.  He was on a bicycle on the main road and collided with a motor vehicle joining the road from a side road.  My son was the only casualty and was taken to hospital via ambulance.  The impact was quite severe as my son smashed the windscreen, dented the car bonnet and smashed the headlight.  He was very lucky he wasn't severely hurt.
He is on crutches and needs to return to hospital in 2 weeks for xray and scans as due to the pain and swelling he was in they couldn't rule out injury to his knee.
Obviously he is now going to be off work for a few weeks, his bicycle is completely a write off.  The police took details of the driver of the car, but I am looking for advice on what he should do to pursue a claim for loss of bicycle, loss of earnings, personal injury and any impact this will have on his future health both physically and mentally.

Can anyone advise?

Thankyou in advance x


  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Can anyone advise?
    A solicitor or claims company (although note the costs whichever you choose).

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • rigolithrigolith Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Do you have his insurance details? If not you can get them from Ask MID.

    Call good insurer and tell them you are making a claim against their customer. Ideally give them an idea of what you want to claim. None, any physio needed, time off work etc.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Do you have legal expenses cover on your Home insurance? If so they will handle the claim.

    If you want to keep solicitor fees out of the equation then you could claim directly from the third party insurer however you will get very split views on if the insurer will treat you well so that you don't go off to a solicitor or if they will take advantage of your naivety and lowball you. 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools