Working away from home - accommodation

2»

Comments

• penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,630
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    In essence, per diems (allowance) are considered taxable income, paying expenses for hotel and food isn't.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2022 at 8:22AM
    In essence, per diems (allowance) are considered taxable income, paying expenses for hotel and food isn't.
    Indeed, although that has been the case for many years. Before the change it was being widely exploited by employees of many large organisations, often with the tacit approval of the companies. The BBC was a good example.

My late father had a colleague who was quite senior in another large organisation. His job involved a lot of travelling. Being senior he was entitled to a much higher food and accommodation allowance (say 4 star hotel level). He travelled around in a tatty campervan, quite legitimacy pocketing all the hotel allowances! 
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Indeed, although that has been the case for many years. Before the change it was being widely exploited by employees of many large organisations, often with the tacit approval of the companies. The BBC was a good example.

My late father had a colleague who was quite senior in another large organisation. His job involved a lot of travelling. Being senior he was entitled to a much higher food and accommodation allowance (say 4 star hotel level). He travelled around in a tatty campervan, quite legitimacy pocketing all the hotel allowances! 
    I used to travel a lot for work - we always got a per diem - £25 a night - this was for food etc - not the hotel room - used to live off cheap sandwiches & mcdonalds!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • JES_F1
    JES_F1 Posts: 753
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Can your employer provide staff with credit cards?  Where I work, we can get a credit card for booking accommodation, train tickets, and other expenses.  The card is issued in our name but the statements are sent to and paid for by our employer.
    Debt Jan 2008: £45,566. *** June 2013: DEBT FREE! ***
    Paid back just under £50,000 due to some interest added.

Dealt with my debt through a Step Change
    (CCCS) DMP.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member #240.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family