New postage rates April 2022

2»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Just for a warning - if anyone is thinking of getting any last minute large letter packages labels printed tonight before the price increase, Ebay have this warning up 'Please be aware that Royal Mail will be undertaking maintenance on their systems between 23:00 on 3 April 2022 and 03:00 on 4 April 2022, during which time the service will be unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.'

So basically do any large letters before 11pm but leave parcel labels until tomorrow when they will be cheaper.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,196
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    soolin said:
    I don’t use stamps for parcels as I prefer to buy online for the saving over the PO counter cost, and also when using a label you get proof of delivery. I only use stamps on my large letter items. 

As above the saving with using online postage for a parcel over the cost of using stamps is quite considerable.I haven’t got the rates in front of me but from memory a medium parcel will be £1 cheaper if you *don’t * use stamps.
    Do you forgo the £20 compensation if you buy online?  It sounds as if it might be worth tsking the risk even if this is the case if online rates are much cheaper.

• A reminder that royal mail postage stamps are changing to barcoded in Jan 2023, if you have old stamps you can swap them now for the new barcoded ones. You can print off a form from their website or fill in a form online and they will send you the form you need to be able to swap the stamps over.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    martindow said:
    soolin said:
    I don’t use stamps for parcels as I prefer to buy online for the saving over the PO counter cost, and also when using a label you get proof of delivery. I only use stamps on my large letter items. 

As above the saving with using online postage for a parcel over the cost of using stamps is quite considerable.I haven’t got the rates in front of me but from memory a medium parcel will be £1 cheaper if you *don’t * use stamps.
    Do you forgo the £20 compensation if you buy online?  It sounds as if it might be worth tsking the risk even if this is the case if online rates are much cheaper.

You get exactly the same protection,  I print all my labels add them to a bulk proof of postage and take them to the PO or mail centre and get that stamped. Some of the post offices I use don't even need a POP , they just scan my pre printed labels and give me the usual till receipt.

There's quite a price saving on parcels especially after the rises tomorrow. a 2kg small parcel is £3.35 at the counter but only £2.85 online, medium parcels are even better, up to £5.35 at the post office but only £4.35 online, and that £1 deifference applies at the higher weight bands as well.

A £1 saving on a medium parcel makes a lot of difference.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    edited 3 April 2022 at 1:28PM
    A reminder that royal mail postage stamps are changing to barcoded in Jan 2023, if you have old stamps you can swap them now for the new barcoded ones. You can print off a form from their website or fill in a form online and they will send you the form you need to be able to swap the stamps over.

There's a thread here with more information

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback