Hurdles in trying to pay off debt!

After selling my house, I have tried to pay off all my outstanding debt on credit cards (around £19,000). I have had so much hassle in trying to do this, being on the phone for an hour being passed round all different departments, asking why I want to pay it all off, difficulties in closing accounts too. None of this is helpful in trying to be debt free. Has anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes its very common these days, creditors/debt collectors have to be sure what you pay is affordable under FCA guidelines.

They don`t want you borrowing further funds to repay existing debt, that`s what it boils down to.

The phone is not the best way to handle these matters, what is the situation with your accounts, what stage are you at with them ?
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • moneyamateurmoneyamateur Forumite
    3 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have paid them all off, apart from MBNA, who told me that because I moved address last month, I was only able to pay £999.99 on my debit card, as it was in my new address. I then got passed to another department who said they would change my address and then I could pay it, this department then told me that I couldn't do that, I had to write to them to tell them my new address, and until then, I am not able to pay off any outstanding debt or arrears on the card!!
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Do they not provide details so you can pay them by direct bank transfer? That would solve the issue perhaps?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2023 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £0.00/£280 (Membership taken 01/2/23)🏋🏻♀️ 2023/24 Gym cost per use: at 01/02/23 £280.00 per visit! (0) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her