Jacamo settlement advice

DFWJaneDFWJane Forumite
219 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Has anyone experience of a settlement offer with this company, or any JD Williams?  Will they negotiate, what’s a good percentage to start at?

:j July '08 wins: £20 Foster Grant sunglasses...Lazy Town DVD...NScessity ActivSkins Kids Sun/swim set...Paddington Bear DVD

Nov '09 wins: John Smith's Darts Shirt

Replies

• How old is the default? Are you making any payments at all?  

You'll have a better chance of a settlement once it's sold on.
  • DFWJaneDFWJane Forumite
    219 Posts
    Forumite
    I made an arrangement to pay reduced 4 weekly amounts about 18 months ago.  These are up to date.  
    :j July '08 wins: £20 Foster Grant sunglasses...Lazy Town DVD...NScessity ActivSkins Kids Sun/swim set...Paddington Bear DVD

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    They don`t do settlements, original creditors rarely do, much better chance once the debt gets sold, as explained above.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    219 Posts
    Forumite
    How old is the default? Are you making any payments at all?  

You'll have a better chance of a settlement once it's sold on.
    I’ve been making reduced payments for about 18 months, these are up to date.  Interest frozen.  I’d like it off my credit report though as I want to get in a good position for a mortgage. 

219 Posts
    Forumite
    They don`t do settlements, original creditors rarely do, much better chance once the debt gets sold, as explained above.
    Thank you, I wonder how long before they sell it on?  

• TripleHTripleH Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How long until the amount is paid off at the current rate?
    The longer it is before the amount is paid off, the more likely it is sold on.
    In my opinion, if you have an old debt with the original company that you're paying off and there is still a long time before it's repaid, if you're going to try your luck, submit your request a month before year-end. This is more likely to work when they are reviewing their debt book before year-end and if you offer more than they'd sell it on for, you 'might' get lucky. If it is a plc this is more likely to be successful as they have a shorter time to prepare accounts but I have no evidence it will work, just my opinion.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.