What is a sensible emergency fund before stating DMP?

Newmum92Newmum92 Forumite
106 Posts
10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
Hi,

I’m thinking about stopping my payments for a few months to build my fund before committing to my DMP- after reading the advice on here. 

What is a good amount to build up? I would like an amount that could easily cover emergencies, or if I was out of work for a few weeks, or even if a creditor was to become tricky and I need to try and sort a large payment to them. 

Thanks! 

Replies

• Newmum92Newmum92 Forumite
    106 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Newmum92 said:
    Hi,

I’m thinking about stopping my payments for a few months to build my fund before committing to my DMP- after reading the advice on here. 

What is a good amount to build up? I would like an amount that could easily cover emergencies, or if I was out of work for a few weeks, or even if a creditor was to become tricky and I need to try and sort a large payment to them. 

Thanks! 
    If anyone is happy to share there own experiences of what emergency fund they ended up needing while on a DMP that would be great! 
  • KakisteKakiste Forumite
    940 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I needed to buy a new washing machine, car repairs and pay for a substantial amount of dental work during my DMP (still ongoing but with only a small time left to run) 

I managed to save almost a rolling one- where I kept getting it up to about £500 and then something else would break. 

I would suggest that £1000 is an ideal amount- you can add to it but £1k will cover most emergencies in full. 
    Bottom line; 
    £49k paid off 
    Car HP paid off
    Debt Free!

Current focus; saving EF fund
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would say £1000 min, and also budget a monthly amount to keep topping that up.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    106 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would say £1000 min, and also budget a monthly amount to keep topping that up.
    Thank you- yeah good idea. So I’ll use 3-4 months to build up £1000 and then on my SOA I think I will try and allow £150-200 a month savings and just increase my expense allowances as well as atm I’ve been quite strict with food shopping etc which usually is a down fall when I need to buy more food or do unexpected chemist runs for my baby. That way if I don’t spend all I have budgeted for it can always be extra in my fund 
    106 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Kakiste said:
    I needed to buy a new washing machine, car repairs and pay for a substantial amount of dental work during my DMP (still ongoing but with only a small time left to run) 

I managed to save almost a rolling one- where I kept getting it up to about £500 and then something else would break. 

I would suggest that £1000 is an ideal amount- you can add to it but £1k will cover most emergencies in full. 
    That’s helpful thank you, I guess more then one emergency can happen at once too so better to over estimate! 

I just saw that you’ve paid of over £40k that is seriously impressive! How long have you been in a DMP for do you mind me asking? 😊
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Absolute minimums IMO. 

If you're renting (and you're confident of a secure tenancy), furnished, no car - £250
    If you're renting, (and you're confident of a secure tenancy) unfurnished, no car - £500
    If you are paying mortgage, and no car, OR renting AND own a car - £1000
    Paying mortgage AND own a car - £1500

Ideally I'd double each of those, and of course the "perfect world" situation is to have a minimum of three months expenses safely tucked away, but that might be a little way down the line yet! 

I agree with Sourcrates suggestion that you also budget a sum ongoing to continue adding to whatever your starting amount is.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2023 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £11.87/£280 (Membership taken 01/2/23)🏋🏻♀️ 2023/24 Gym cost per use: at 01/02/23 £280.00 per visit! (1) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    I would suggest aiming for £1000 but continuing to add after that. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2023 Challenge #8 £12,000/£5100
    The 365 day 1p Challenge 2023 #1 £670.00/£72.00
    The 365 £1 a day Challenge for Christmas 2023 #43 £1000/£300