What's happening to banks share prices??

in Savings & Investments
24 replies 1.2K views
BrieBrie Forumite
2.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
I have a share option for Barclays but have put off completing on it as the price was not very favourable originally.  The price has wobbled about (the way they do) and then started to climb.  I think it's gone from about £2 to £2.20 this week.  (& has started to wobble down again of course)

Are all the banks doing similar?  Any idea what's causing this??  I'm sure there's something obvious to everyone except me.  (like it's January or something??)
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

Replies

• lozzy1965lozzy1965 Forumite
    522 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    The UK stock market has gone up,
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interest rates are on the way up and this will help bank profits. Bank share prices naturally reflect this.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Higher interest rates will result in increased bank profits. At the moment margins are squeezed. 
  • rancidukranciduk Forumite
    357 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Lloy shares rocketing this week...

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    21.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ranciduk said:
    Up less than 4% over the week - if that's your idea of rocketing then I hope you don't have aspirations towards being an astronaut, or was that (well-concealed) sarcasm perhaps?
  • RogerIrvineRogerIrvine Forumite
    94 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    What's happening to bank share prices? They are doing very well. Barclays up 60% from last Jan25th, HSBC +40%, Lloyds +66%.

I can see the logic of selling once you take the option but don't pass up the option. I would keep the shares but then, I don't work for them; you may know better.
  • Thumbs_UpThumbs_Up Forumite
    242 Posts
    100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭

PPI now history, economy has finally returned to pre-pandemic levels, dividend payments reinstated, worst of covid over?

Roof hasn’t fallen in due to Brexit, people aren’t loosing there jobs, labour market looking good. Labour party are not in power. Mortgage rates will go up saving rates not so much means big profits. So take your pick for the reasons why.

''Enemy Coast Ahead'' Guy Gibson V.C.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    eskbanker said:
    ranciduk said:
    Up less than 4% over the week - if that's your idea of rocketing then I hope you don't have aspirations towards being an astronaut, or was that (well-concealed) sarcasm perhaps?
    Be a safe income generator again. 
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    21.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's happening to bank share prices? They are doing very well. Barclays up 60% from last Jan25th, HSBC +40%, Lloyds +66%.
    You can choose statistics to support any point, the flip side being that Lloyds and HSBC are now starting to recover towards their immediate pre-Covid levels for the first time in those two years, and Barclays (like the others) is still down over five years....
  • RogerIrvineRogerIrvine Forumite
    94 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Very true eskbanker. It's been a nightmare for shareholders in banks since 2008. But that has no bearing on the wisdom of exercising a stock option at a favourable price. Brie should.