How are plumbing prices atm? An considering BG homecare again at least for a while.

The local tradesman in my area have all ramped their prices by 4* atm. I didn't think it would apply to plumbing, but am being very cautious atm.

Replies

• 8871Jlw8871Jlw Forumite
    15 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Working in property claims we have seen a massive increase in contractor prices everywhere!  Plus there is literally so much work, contractors can charge what they want as it may be a case they don’t want or really need the job! 
  • Anthony147Anthony147 Forumite
    55 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    The local tradesman in my area have all ramped their prices by 4* atm. I didn't think it would apply to plumbing, but am being very cautious atm.
    Yes - in my experience every trade has increased prices recently and has waiting lists so pick and choose the jobs they’ll do.

No doubt someone will be on shortly to tell you two things.

1: Put the monthly fee in a jar and you’ll save enough for a holiday
    2: Use your local trusted, honest and never overcharged on anything engineer

In reposte to both of them - You’ll spend on homecare BUT as long as they do what they say they will, the risk of bigs bills or not getting hold of someone is removed (note their terms do have a find a engineer, pay and reclaim clause) and I and so many others do not have these honest, local trades on speed dial.

Homecare makes sense but isn’t a money saving way but “peace of mind” has a high value when you are completely vulnerable if something went wrong with the system
  • SlumbershadeSlumbershade Forumite
    105 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Guys, any estimate as to how long it will take for prices to go back to normal?
  • edited 14 January at 8:49PM
    HarryDavies01HarryDavies01 Forumite
    299 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 14 January at 8:49PM
    Try homeserve over British gas...

Or home emergency cover with your home insurer? FYI Aviva or QuoteMeHappy use Homeserve for home emergency. Only thing they dont cover is replacing taps or your water main from your meter to internal stopcock. You can take out a plumbing policy with Homeserve for 50p or 75p a month (with an excess) to cover these though. 

Re prices back to normal, do you have a crystal ball?
    FTB - April 2020