Got a 90k quote for what I suspect is 20k's worth of work from Hanley services

Slumbershade
Slumbershade Posts: 667
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 23 April 2022 at 12:08PM in Praise, vent & warnings
fitting a new bathroom, 20m plastering and 66m rendering. Er some pointwork that needs to be done on the ground outside and fixing felt properly to gutters that I dont know about yet, but come on its not going to be much above 20k is it?

Seemed like such a kind older man, well thats what I get for thinking why is this guy going to so much trouble to give me a quote when everyone else is on break.

Also the least busy tadesman on the buywithconfidence site is booked for 3 months still !!!!!!.

Comments

• Clearly didn't want the job. If you accepted at 90K then it's win win for him.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,382
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have a quote at £90k but think it should be £20k.

One of you is clearly incorrect.

Don't place the order.  Get some competitive quotes, then you will know you was wrong and who was correct.  Then you can select to place the order with the preferred contractor.

You may have to wait 3 months for one of the busy contractors (but pay the correct rate) or pay £90k to the first contractor and get the work done next week - that will be your informed choice.

Perhaps the "kind older man" is not so fussed and no real need to actually work, but will do jobs at inflated rates and gets enough to pay the bills that way.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,134
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    At the minute it is a tradesman's market out there.  Some are quoting ridiculous prices or, despite many promises, simply do not turn up to quote or even start the work.  Some are trying to blame the cost of materials - they have gone up but some are padding these out to inflate prices (best not to leave the bill from the local builders yard behind if you do not want your customers to find out).

I suspect that when it becomes a customer market again, many tradesmen are going to find out that the customer base remembers their behaviour.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,545
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Usually silly high quoting means they don't really want the job. 
  • Slumbershade
    Slumbershade Posts: 667
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2022 at 1:26AM
    Nah, he gave an initial estimate to part of the property early on. I didnt know the rough cost of anything at the time, so kept quiet even though it seemed ridiculously expensive. Then tried his luck with a higher level of bs price twice more.

ANyway more importantly what if covid lasts for decades and lots of people are too scared to ever leave their house? The cost of work will stay super high cos they wont holiday, but hopefully house value and rental will also go up for my sake lol. Ok not rental,. thats not fair on everyone else. You know what lets just hope everything stays the same.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,382
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why doesn't the OP get alternative quotes?
  • I've done something similar in the past (although I work in B2B services, not in home renovations), a job looked a total nightmare, I knew it would take up a lot of time for the outcome. I took the view that I did not want the work at my normal rates because I knew it would take longer, it was going to be difficult, and I would rather keep normal customers happy than get tied up with an that project, unless I made it worth my while as a financial reward to me, and also having enough funds in the project to employ someone temporarily to cover some of the normal stuff. If it was an existing client I would have had a chat, sucked it up and probably charged them £40k, it was a new client, who I knew from others in my industry was a nightmare to deal with, I had told them the project did not particularly fit my normal operations and priced it at £110k, telling them it was expensive as I was going to have to bring people in to assist. Weirdly they actually chose me to run the project for them, despite having cheaper options elsewhere, I did the project, it was as bad as I thought it would be, but it made me £60k profit even with the cost of bringing in other people to assist. 
  • I've done something similar in the past (although I work in B2B services, not in home renovations), a job looked a total nightmare, I knew it would take up a lot of time for the outcome. I took the view that I did not want the work at my normal rates because I knew it would take longer, it was going to be difficult, and I would rather keep normal customers happy than get tied up with an that project, unless I made it worth my while as a financial reward to me, and also having enough funds in the project to employ someone temporarily to cover some of the normal stuff. If it was an existing client I would have had a chat, sucked it up and probably charged them £40k, it was a new client, who I knew from others in my industry was a nightmare to deal with, I had told them the project did not particularly fit my normal operations and priced it at £110k, telling them it was expensive as I was going to have to bring people in to assist. Weirdly they actually chose me to run the project for them, despite having cheaper options elsewhere, I did the project, it was as bad as I thought it would be, but it made me £60k profit even with the cost of bringing in other people to assist. 
    Clearly this - He’ll do it but wants a new car / house deposit or world class holiday out of it.

Not the best place to be morally and karma is often just around the corner but Adults can make there own informed decisions and it’s only price gouging if it’s an emergency requirement.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,725
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ultimately trades people are free to quote whatever price they want just as you’re free to accept or decline that quote. I agree with some of the others though, it’s likely for whatever reason he doesn’t want to do the job.

Just don’t be one of those people who accept the quote, gets the work done and then complains about the price. These people do seem more and more common though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback