Universal credit

Hi my partners wage is lower than what is on my universal credit.
He has a loan and advances which are taking out of his wages. 
Which figure should his work be reporting to universal credit ? 
Should it be the figure he is bringing home ? 
The figure he is bringing home plus loan repayment and advance wage is being reported to universal credit 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 November 2021 at 10:12PM
    The figure used by UC will not take into account deductions for loans and advances. It sounds as if the correct figure is being used.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Hi. We currently receive UC and am fairly certain that HMRC uses my take home pay for calculation. We are looking at taking up a company scheme to lease a car via salary sacrifice which would in theory reduce take home pay and possibly increase the UC amount. Does any one know if this will be case or if income reported differently due to the scheme...(trying to work out exactly what money we would have etc before committing.)
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,519
    Forumite
    edited 7 March 2022 at 9:07PM
    Hi. We currently receive UC and am fairly certain that HMRC uses my take home pay for calculation. We are looking at taking up a company scheme to lease a car via salary sacrifice which would in theory reduce take home pay and possibly increase the UC amount. Does any one know if this will be case or if income reported differently due to the scheme...(trying to work out exactly what money we would have etc before committing.)
    As you suspect, the deduction will likely not count for UC purposes and you will be treated as if you have received that money and spent it on a car. It all depends on how your employer reports it to HMRC.

• TonyBee
    TonyBee Posts: 55
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2022 at 2:18PM
    I thought i would jump in with my question. I am receiving State Pension, i receive PIP, is PIP means tested / used as a earnings if i try to claim UC.
  • TonyBee said:
    I thought i would jump in with my question. I am receiving State Pension, i receive PIP, is PIP means tested / used as a earnings if i try to claim UC.

As a pensioner you may not meet the eligibility criteria for u/c. Try pension credit instead.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2022 at 4:13PM
    TonyBee said:
    If you are single you should look at Pension Credit as, suggested by artic-ghost (and Housing Benefit if you rent). Pension credit is more generous than UC. If you have a partner who is working age then you would have to claim Universal Credit (assessed on your joint circumstances).

PIP is ignored as income when assessing other benefits. However if you live alone, receive daily Living PIP and no one claims Carer's Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you then your Pension Credit entitlement would be higher because it would include a Severe Disability Addition.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • TonyBee
    Forumite
    TonyBee said:

As a pensioner you may not meet the eligibility criteria for u/c. Try pension credit instead.
    In order to qualifie for Pension Credit, we both have to be Pension age. My wife is not. But thanks.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    TonyBee said:
    TonyBee said:

In order to qualifie for Pension Credit, we both have to be Pension age. My wife is not. But thanks.
    As you say you would therefore have to claim UC. If you get enhanced rate daily Living PIP, as a pensioner, you are entitled to be automatically treated as having limited capability for Work and work Related activity which will increase your entitlement after four months. If you don't get enhanced Daily Living you would need to request a Work capability Assessment so that you can be assessed to see if you qualify for LCWRA. If you get Daily Living PIP (at either rate) our wife should declare that she looks after you and she will be entitled to the carer element.
  • TonyBee
    Forumite
    calcotti said:
    TonyBee said:
    TonyBee said:

As you say you would therefore have to claim UC. If you get enhanced rate daily Living PIP, as a pensioner, you are entitled to be automatically treated as having limited capability for Work and work Related activity which will increase your entitlement after four months. If you don't get enhanced Daily Living you would need to request a Work capability Assessment so that you can be assessed to see if you qualify for LCWRA. If you get Daily Living PIP (at either rate) our wife should declare that she looks after you and she will be entitled to the carer element.
    Thank you kindly for the advice.  My wife and i are signed up with UC, after filling in all request, we will receive £00.00, the end figures State Pension etc do not show the same as those we listed. Our adviser is as good as a chocolate tea pot. The bit that confuses me is the fact that both my wife and I receive PIP, mine continues until 2028. I was under the impression that PIP is not means tested and should not be taken into account as earnings. My wife does receive carer allowance.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,864
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    TonyBee said:
    calcotti said:
    TonyBee said:
    TonyBee said:

Thank you kindly for the advice.  My wife and i are signed up with UC, after filling in all request, we will receive £00.00, the end figures State Pension etc do not show the same as those we listed. Our adviser is as good as a chocolate tea pot. The bit that confuses me is the fact that both my wife and I receive PIP, mine continues until 2028. I was under the impression that PIP is not means tested and should not be taken into account as earnings. My wife does receive carer allowance.
            The difference in SP numbers may be because UC is calculated monthly, whereas your SP is paid (normally) 4 weekly. 
           To get to the SP number in the UC calculations - take your 4 weekly pension payment multiply by 13 then divide by 12.  If that is different then question it.

PIP should not be counted as earnings.

Does your UC calculation include the carers element?  
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback