Retirement Strategy

1235»

Comments

• To all.  I don't mean to be evasive and have no issue in sharing my story.  In short, I have had Leukemia for 22 years, when I was first diagnosed I was given 7 years to live, but with careful drug treatments and advances in new drugs I am still here today.  My current treatment, a pill a day, costs the NHS £100,000. I have had 3 COVID vaccinations but have no antibodies.  So have to be very cautious.  I would love to do a world cruise or even go to a restaurant, but that's not something that I can now do or will do for the foreseeable future.

I actual retired some 22 years ago, when the company I was working for put me on long term sick and continued to pay  me till I was 60.  So that now explains my assets.

Money is not everything!
    Ok that explains things better and your modest expenditure. The general rule is that pensions are tax efficient on the way in but not so much on the way out. You should aim to get a lot into isas so use your allowances each year and check the inheritance tax situation. Stay safe and well. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback