Buyer Hasn't Read The Description

Good evening,

I have recently sold a Ninja Foodi Multi Pressure Cooker on ebay. I am a private seller and the item doesn't have a returns option on it. The item is an ex display item, it is unused for cooking but missing some accessories which was clearly stated in the listing description. It was listed as new other. It even has a link as to where to buy the main missing item (pressure lid). Main description: 

"Ninja Foodi 9-in1 Multi-Cooker OP350UK 6.0 Litres Boxed.

This is brand new, ex-demo so has a few minor scuffs.

Comes with cook and crisp basket and cooking pot only.

The pressure lid can be bought directly from Ninja for £24.99 delivered LINK IS HERE BUT MSE WON'T LET ME POST

Free next day delivery using Parcel Force included in the price!"

Buyer has messaged and asked to return or provide a replacement pressure lid. On the fence as to what to do next, ride it out and hope ebay finds in my favour, offer partial refund to the value of the pressure lid or order a pressure lid directly to the buyer? I'm guessing the last option is probably not a good idea though. Any thoughts on next step? 

Replies

• Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally you've described it, presumably used actual photos so not disguised the fact it's missing, so I'd stand your ground.
  • edited 9 November 2021 at 9:52PM
    Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 November 2021 at 9:52PM
    With hindsight, I maybe would have messaged the buyer before despatch to check they had they read the description and confirmed that no lid was included as presumably the item is unusable without the lid.
    How much did you sell it for?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • In my experience, if the buyer has any leanings to being unscrupulous, they could initiate a return under the item reason "Not As Described" regardless of whether it is, and ebay will accept that at face value and initiate the return, also charging whatever return cost to you the buyer uses automatically. You'll then have to contact ebay to try and sort it out. Its not your fault if the buyer has not read the description properly, although I probably would have stated the lid was missing rather than infer it by your bold text, but regardless, it still states what they will receive, not what they won't receive. Its just hoping ebay will side with a seller is long odds ...
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also sell as well as buy on eBay and what I've learned over the years is that very many people do not read things properly. Sometimes they may have dyslexia, sometimes they may be autistic or sometimes they may actually not be able to read all that well. Or they may just read things too quickly and miss the fine detail. Not everyone is trying to scam or be unscrupulous.

BUT the thing is that on eBay if you 'stick it out' and wait, you'll get nowhere. What you will get is a terrible review and prospective buyers and sellers will turn against you after checking your ID.

The solution is in your hands. If it were me, I'd let the buyer return the item for a refund on this occasion because it does seem like they have made a genuine mistake. It's easier to accept a return because the alternative just involves a lot of faffing about and expense for you. Although I specify 'no returns' on my ads, I do actually treat every case individually because sometimes people do have problems. 

It's easier just to say 'okay, on this one occasion due to a misunderstanding, I will accept your return' - than to start going round and round in circles and ending up spending more in an effort to placate an irate buyer. Look on it as a learning curve and save your blood pressure. 

N.B.
    MSE forum rules : "No two people have the same circumstances or experience and it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently make."  
  • cx6cx6 Forumite
    623 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Another alternative would be to negotiate and see if the buyer would accept a partial refund - this would mean you don't have to pay return postage.
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think 'New other' was the correct category for an item with important parts missing. I would have used the for spares or repair one. 
  • edited 10 November 2021 at 12:36PM
    greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 November 2021 at 12:36PM
    It is not clear to me that one of the main parts ( the lid ) is missing.
    I can't see the words 'No lid' on your item description.

• frysterfryster Forumite
    8 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    I decided to refund £25, this is the cost to buy a replacement lid directly from Ninja. Buyer has accepted this. I think after reading the above comment the listing could have been clearer and will take on board going forward. I don't believe that this was a buyer trying it on, by the way their message was written they may have reading/writing issues. I think they just wanted a working pressure/multi cooker and hopefully refunding the cost of the lid is the best solution. 
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an aside. 'Private sellers' generally arent selling  ex demo items 
  • Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had a look at your listing - with hindsight it might have been easier for you to buy the part before listing and then listing as a complete item, this might have resulted in a higher sale price/profit.  We all live and learn, just a thought I'm putting out there.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time