10 Posts Name Dropper
edited 15 October at 11:24PM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
PLEASE DELETE

Replies

• anselldanselld Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only the Vendor can answer that, but given you are well into the process they are not going to get anyone else to that point in two weeks or anywhere near.  Shop around to find a surveyor who can fit in a survey earlier if possible.  How long have you actually been processing since offer and where are the rest of the chain?
  • RoseGold2021RoseGold2021 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    anselld said:
    Only the Vendor can answer that, but given you are well into the process they are not going to get anyone else to that point in two weeks or anywhere near.  Shop around to find a surveyor who can fit in a survey earlier if possible.  How long have you actually been processing since offer and where are the rest of the chain?
    Offered in July, but vendor then came down with CV19, so everything was put on hold. 

The chain, there is a hold up on the property I want to buy, some issue that needs sorting before sale can proceed. How long that’ll take, I don’t know. But the property vendor wants to buy, apparently they’re (those owners) are complaining at how long it’s taken and they want sale finalised by end of the month. But something doesn’t sit comfortably with me to not survey it. Vendor refused to answer questions, & the EA and vendor have become extremely pushy, my gut says survey it! 
  • edited 14 October at 7:58AM
    lookstraightaheadlookstraightahead Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 October at 7:58AM
    In my opinion a survey is a must, not something to 'consider'. I've never bought a house without a L3 survey actually.

on the other hand everyone seems to be on go slow - must people usually want to get a move on.

whst is the is for the solicitor has with the house you are buying?
  • RoseGold2021RoseGold2021 Forumite
    60 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    In my opinion a survey is a must, not something to 'consider'. I've never bought a house without a L3 survey actually.

on the other hand everyone seems to be on go slow - must people usually want to get a move on.

whst is the is for the solicitor has with the house you are buying?
    That’s what I’m thinking…I’ve asked Qs and vendor came back with “I don’t know..I don’t know”. That’s why I’ve thought “nah I’m getting a surveyor into the property.

It’s a deed issue, again vendor claiming they know nothing about it. However my solicitor said sale isn’t going anywhere until it’s sorted. Not going to argue with that as don’t want to take on something with a legal issue, as well as potentially structural issues. 
  • lookstraightaheadlookstraightahead Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the issue with the deed? (Sorry just wondering because that could sway you anyway)
  • eidandeidand Forumite
    808 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    anselld said:
    Offered in July, but vendor then came down with CV19, so everything was put on hold. 

The chain, there is a hold up on the property I want to buy, some issue that needs sorting before sale can proceed. How long that’ll take, I don’t know. But the property vendor wants to buy, apparently they’re (those owners) are complaining at how long it’s taken and they want sale finalised by end of the month. But something doesn’t sit comfortably with me to not survey it. Vendor refused to answer questions, & the EA and vendor have become extremely pushy, my gut says survey it! 
    Your gut should have told you to book the survey as soon as possible, surely. The fact that it takes weeks to get one in is not really news, is it? No wonder others are getting restless. What else haven't you done already? Searches? Mortgage sorted?
  • user1977user1977 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly are you hoping the survey will answer (and on which you had been hoping to rely on the vendor's answers)?

I agree with the answers above - I'd be wanting a survey first thing, not as an afterthought months into the process.
  • TheJPTheJP Forumite
    67 Posts
    10 Posts
    If its a deed issue I doubt the survey will solve it. To be honest if I was the seller I would be frustrated with you if at the last hour you decided to have a survey, it would say to me that you are messing me about and looking for a pressure reduction.

What are the questions you are asking? The vendor genuinely may not know.
  • babyblade41babyblade41 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't bother with surveys as I'm pretty au fait with what to look for when viewing...decor is not even on my radar .
    A survey will throw up the usual suspects ie , damp, electric and gas need to be checked  ,broken window latch etc etc.

The only time I would get one is if a crack is a bit suspicious and I can usually tell if there are any history with questions I raise with my solicitor .

My problem with your situation would be with an issue with a deed, this is only solvable by your solicitor and your solicitor should explain what the issue is and how to overcome it by the vendor and their legal team 
  • GoogleMeNowGoogleMeNow Forumite
    105 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    A survey is to look at the structure of the property, whether it is suffering from damp or structural issues.  It will advise on things like whether there are any large trees nearby which could damage the foundations or drains, whether the brickwork needs pointing, whether the floors/walls/doorways are straight/aligned, what the water pressure is like, whether there is any insulation in the roof, whether the roof needs remedial repairs etc etc.  I think it is a necessary part of the transaction, though not all agree.

It will not solve a "deed" issue.  If the deed issue is likely to take some time, then go ahead and get your survey.  

Can you specifically say what the deed issue is?