Consent to let or leave the flat vacant?

Hi everyone,

I have received an offer from an overseas company and I am thinking of accepting it.
However, I have also recently completed a purchase of a property.
I guess my question is, if I do end up working overseas, can I leave the property vacant until the first six months passed? I think the lender wouldn't accept consent to let application within the first six months.

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,667
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Which lender is it? Generally, a normal residential mortgage requires you to actually use the property as your main residence - which you'd be breaching by emigrating, whether or not you put a tenant in it. 
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 July 2021 at 7:18AM
    You will struggle to get buildings insurance on the flat if it is empty. Do you need to have buildings insurance?

If you do leave the flat empty, make sure you turn off the water at the main stop tap, and drain the pipes, so that if they cannot leak into the flat.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,345
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    How long is the contract?  If it appears safe and you take the necessary cautions of turning water off etc then I would leave it empty, you really don't want the hassle of a BTL from abroad, its bad enough for those living in the country especially accidental landlords!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure