Switching from Virgin Money M Plus Account

I have requested to switch my M Plus Account to my Monzo account. Does anyone know what will happen to my M Plus Saver when the switch goes through? Will it close automatically or do I have to close it myself (although I don't quite know how to do that)?

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you have requested a CASS switch, you will have agreed to your Virgin account to be closed.
  • Lightning360
    Lightning360 Posts: 270
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    colsten said:
    If you have requested a CASS switch, you will have agreed to your Virgin account to be closed.
    I will have agreed for my M Plus Current account to be closed. This doesn't include the Savings account, however, the M Plus Saver is a linked account and only comes with the current account, hence the issue. I don't think I can have it without the current account but I don't know if it closes automatically.
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,035
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you asked Virgin Money? You can send them a secure message
  • Lightning360
    Forumite
    PaulW922 said:
    Have you asked Virgin Money? You can send them a secure message
    Completely forgot I could do this. I have done this and they say that I need to call them up to close it which just seems like a hassle. 

Does anyone know if my savings account will be closed if I leave it for a certain amount of time or if there are any disadvantages to just leaving it open with nothing in it?

• colsten
    Forumite
    colsten said:
    I will have agreed for my M Plus Current account to be closed. This doesn't include the Savings account, however, the M Plus Saver is a linked account and only comes with the current account, hence the issue. I don't think I can have it without the current account but I don't know if it closes automatically.
    Sorry, I didn't read your post properly and didn't see you are asking about the Saver. Here is what the T&Cs say:

Not overly helpful but I am sure you will find out shortly. 
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,410
    Forumite
    When I closed my B account (which is the predecessor of the VM account before the CYBG rebranding) I switched it away but the linked savings account did not close.

Hopefully they will have sorted this issue out.
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2021 at 6:39PM
    no.it won't close. call them before the switch date and closr it manually
  • Lightning360
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2021 at 9:05PM
    colsten said:
    colsten said:
    Sorry, I didn't read your post properly and didn't see you are asking about the Saver. Here is what the T&Cs say:

It seems despite that being in the T&Cs, that isn't what will happen. Bit poor really. 
  • Lightning360
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2021 at 9:13PM
    colsten said:
    colsten said:

It seems despite that being in the T&Cs, that isn't what will happen. Bit poor really. 
    Should I ask them about this in their in-app chat? If they aren't following this, they are going against their own T&Cs. 
  • colsten
    Forumite
    In the end, only VM can assist you with this. But having an orphaned savings account with a zero balance won't matter. 

I have tons of empty Virgin savings accounts, from when they still had great Regular Savers. They don't seem to be hot on housekeeping, and I cba chasing them about it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback