To top up National Insurance or not?

Options
I have over 40 years full NI contributions, but have discovered that I have four years where I have not contributed enough. This is from 2016 to date, where I have been self employed and the Tax Return won't let me fill in the piece to pay NI.   Do I have to pay the outstanding four years NI and pay NI going forward please?  If so, how do I pay this? 
Any guidance appreciated. 

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What does your State Pension forecast say you will receive as a state pension, and what is your state retirement age? 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would probably be better asking this on the pensions board. 
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you copy and paste exactly what the forecast says, a few of on here can help you decipher it.
    It is not a matter of simply counting the years of full contributions as you'll be on a mix of the old and new pension systems.
    The good news is that the government calculates what you'd have got on the old system, and what you'd get on the new system - and give you the higher amount.  Based on your position in April 2016.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback