Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Housing association offered me compensation. Will it effect my benefits?

TomboTombo Forumite
999 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Hi,

I have been offered £150 compensation by the housing association for issues with my property but I am not sure whether to accept as I don’t want it to effect my benefits (universal credit and pip).

I’m sure it won’t effect pip but I think it would effect my universal credit and council tax. Last year I got a tax rebate and that raised my council tax by £100 for the month so I don’t want to make my financial situation worse.

On the form from the housing association, it says it can also be paid in shopping vouchers so I was wondering if they would also effect my benefits.

I think it might just be best to not take the compensation.

What is best to do?
2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), £50 of Odeon vouchers
2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
:jDebt-Free Wannabe!! :j

Replies

• calcotticalcotti Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A compensation payment is capital, not income. Unless it takes your total capital over £6,000 it will have no impact on your UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.