Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Housing association offered me compensation. Will it effect my benefits?

TomboTombo Forumite
999 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker

I have been offered £150 compensation by the housing association for issues with my property but I am not sure whether to accept as I don’t want it to effect my benefits (universal credit and pip).

I’m sure it won’t effect pip but I think it would effect my universal credit and council tax. Last year I got a tax rebate and that raised my council tax by £100 for the month so I don’t want to make my financial situation worse.

On the form from the housing association, it says it can also be paid in shopping vouchers so I was wondering if they would also effect my benefits.

I think it might just be best to not take the compensation.

What is best to do?
2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), £50 of Odeon vouchers
2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
:jDebt-Free Wannabe!! :j


  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    A compensation payment is capital, not income. Unless it takes your total capital over £6,000 it will have no impact on your UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals