Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

UPDATE: RESULT! And FAITH RESTORED IN USING PAYPAL

New Post Advanced Search

UPDATE: RESULT! And FAITH RESTORED IN USING PAYPAL

5 replies 247 views
GS..GS.. Forumite
197 posts
100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
UPDATE: I called PayPal by phone explaining exactly what happened the agent has opened a 'not received' complaint, she explained this means the website have 10 days to respond (which they won't) otherwise the case will be found in my favour and I'm get a refund of my £30. I also happen to notice that the website is still there but no longer accept PayPal as a method of payment obviously indicate the PayPal closed their account. RESULT! And FAITH RESTORED IN USING PAYPAL. Thanks
_---------
So, I see this advert for a phone, https://www.apshes.com/products/3371e726-6b6d-4f21-a987-622e79559684?fbclid=IwAR3z3-nqIcfU0JImWSD_0qlWEJD62O1fuJN0IYp2zMr0QNyZOPAYqzkSmZ8
Seems very cheap, but just how bad can it be for that price? and anyhow they take paypal so I'm covered if its really naff
Anyhow I decide to buy one to have a look.
I get not email receipt, just an invoice from Paypal to a private email address, so its obviously bogus and im not going receive anything at all.
Sent an email to Paypal asking they overturn the payment, they respond the payment is official and not refundable
Bit surprised, nay shocked, that Paypal are happy to support a scammers with a Paypal account?
My question: Do Paypal offer any security against online scammers?
Opinions are like aceholes, we all got one

Replies

• RFWRFW Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends how you've paid and what you've actually purchased.
    This looks like a fairly obvious scam. £19.99 for a £999 item! There's no universe where that is a genuine offer.
    You have protection from Paypal if you were paying for an item from a seller. If this has gone to a private email address as a personal payment then, as far as Paypal are concerned, you could well be scamming them.
    Have you been corresponding with Paypal? Is the payment made on your Paypal account?
    I'm just checking that you haven't also been caught in a phishing scam.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A bit of Google and website lookup suggests these are big scammers, possibly also involved in Royal Mail scams and collecting personal information. You need to check anything you may have given them access to, change passwords, stop credit cards, etc.
  • GS..GS.. Forumite
    197 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    But my question remains. This person is using a PayPal account to harvest cash for a bogus advertising. Why are PayPal supporting them in this way? 
    Opinions are like aceholes, we all got one
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GS.. said:
    But my question remains. This person is using a PayPal account to harvest cash for a bogus advertising. Why are PayPal supporting them in this way? 
    I don't know that they are from what you have written, although they're usually quick to close down rogue accounts. It could well be that the scammers keep changing the Paypal accounts.
    They have plenty of protection in place if you follow the correct procedures. This is such an obvious scam I can't see it staying up too long.

Where did you find this website? Why don't you complain to who allowed it to be shown?

• RFWRFW Forumite
    9.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GS.. said:I also happen to notice that the website is still there but no longer accept PayPal as a method of payment obviously indicate the PayPal closed their account. RESULT! And FAITH RESTORED IN USING PAYPAL. Thanks
    _---------

As of a second ago they are still accepting Paypal.