New Post Advanced Search

Bathroom sealant removal

11 replies 415 views
The sealant in my shower cubicle is starting to look tired and grubby, what is the best/easiest way to remove it without damaging the cubicle?
And suggestions for a clear sealant to replace it with?

SPC 071

Replies

• flashg67flashg67 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually cut the bulk of it out with a sharp knife and gently scrape the rest off with a stanley blade. I have used silicone remover gel  - it works but is messy - test a bit on the tray first to be sure.
    I've used many brands of silicone and found they all get mouldy over time, even the expensive ones , so usually end up with Screwfix 'no nonsense' brand
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried cleaning it with bleach or a proprietary mould cleaner?
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • dj1471dj1471 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭
    Belenus said:
    Have you tried cleaning it with bleach or a proprietary mould cleaner?
    This. If the sealant is still in good condition just mouldy/grubby then attack it with bleach, there’s no reason to remove it.

I’ve found this method effective:
    https://youtu.be/np-Xj693oBc
  • Paully28Paully28 Forumite
    253 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    https://hg.eu/uk/products/hg-mould-remover-foam-spray?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4cOEBhDMARIsAA3XDRgjJx3KivXKp0gYk5s1k2ki24Tn7RrFxWsVywBTt3-83ChLPv6DcnQaArtUEALw_wcB
    We used this recently and the difference was amazing. I was genuinely surprised by the difference, as now looks like new. 
  • 531063531063 Forumite
    98 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Dow corning 785
  • AlanpAlanp Forumite
    239 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing somewhere that wd 40 removes it, you have to let it soak a bit, I’ve never tried it myself so I can’t comment on how effective it is, might be worth a try..
  • GrenageGrenage Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I normally just use thick bleach and leave it for a couple of hours. If that doesn't do it I'll remove and replace with the aforementioned Dow Corning.
  • donemedoshdonemedosh Forumite
    89 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Screwfix sell a removing tool for less than a tenner & I have used it many times plus it has a radius part so when you put new silicone on you can get a nice even bead. As for silicone no nonesense silicone is pretty good also a screwfix product.
  • madlynmadlyn Forumite
    822 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, the silicone does need replacing as there is a small bit missing and water is coming out of the other side.
    SPC 071
  • GrenageGrenage Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an aside, most shower enclosures aren't meant to be sealed on the inside - just the outside.  lets water flow back out and doesn't become a mouldy mess.