Struggling with medical advice - Statins

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't met anyone who hasn't had side effects from statins.  There were medications that worked before statins were invented so perhaps you should ask if your GP will prescribe that.  The problem with statins side effects is that most people put them down to the progression of the problems they already have & don't actually consider them as side effects.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 30 January at 3:27PM
    Options
    I've been on Atorvastatin (amusing that the name is close to a brand of lard) for two years and occasionally get muscle aches that prevent sleep.  Memory was always bad anyway..

How are you getting on with them, @[Deleted User] ?

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can't remember the figures now but my levels started at 8.2.

Since starting taking statins   it has been an acceptable level with no adjustment to the dose.
    I don't keep a note of the readings, my nurse does.

The first statin gave me muscle weakness after 11 years.  This rectified quickly when I stopped taking that but the cholesterol level went up  so a different one was prescribed. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 April 2021 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Thanks, coffeehound.  It's  very early days but, so far, O.K.  I wondered if it was my imagination but I've been having more dreams and, just early morning, think small print is less clear.  Nothing that bothers me too much and I'll continue until my medication is reviewed.

Deep down I'm still not happy to be taking statins but will keep going for now.

I appreciate  all the replies and views/comments.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I took Simvastatin no side effects but on blood tests after a year I was then pre diabetic. 
    Came of statins for 6 months and got blood sugars down. Yes cholesterol has risen a bit but it's a balancing act 
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been on Atorvastatin (amusing that the name is close to a brand of lard) for two years and occasionally get muscle aches that prevent sleep.  Memory was always bad anyway..

How are you getting on with them, @[Deleted User] ?

I was on that and had the same problem. I was moved to Pravastatin which hasn't given me any problems. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 26 April 2021 at 7:30PM
    Options
    Hello everyone - I'm back again and not doing well.  I know better than to ask for medical advice here.  Can anyone recommend a reliable site or forum where I can join and ask related questions, please.  It's barely been two weeks and I'm struggling to wait any longer to see if the symptoms improve/disappear.  I really have been trying (very hard) to persuade myself that the symptoms are 'nothing' - but I am not persuading myself.  I don't know what is upsetting my system - the BP medication or the statins - or both.

I've had a horrible few days with increasing side effects and my head (metaphorically) is spinning.  I have a review appointment tomorrow and feel as if I want to go and plead just to come off the statin as well as having my blood pressure medication reviewed.

Sorry to be such a misery.
  • wannabe_a_saver
    wannabe_a_saver Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello everyone - I'm back again and not doing well.  I know better than to ask for medical advice here.  Can anyone recommend a reliable site or forum where I can join and ask related questions, please.  It's barely been two weeks and I'm struggling to wait any longer to see if the symptoms improve/disappear.  I really have been trying (very hard) to persuade myself that the symptoms are 'nothing' - but I am not persuading myself.

I've had a horrible few days with side effects and my head (metaphorically) is spinning.  I have a review appointment tomorrow and feel as if I want to go and plead just to come off the statin as well as having my blood pressure medication reviewed.

Sorry to be such a misery.

The only people to go to for medical advice are medical professionals, and you are seeing your GP tomorrow so discuss it with them.  

• [Deleted User]
    edited 26 April 2021 at 7:37PM
    Options
    Thanks wannabe a saver. The problem is that I'm really upset and know, already, what the medical advice is.  I'm just so upset and not coping with any of this and want rid of the related problems. 

I wondered if I would benefit from chatting with others in the same boat and that's why I wondered about a website to talk and ask questions - although I have not done that before. Thanks for replying.
  • wannabe_a_saver
    wannabe_a_saver Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks wannabe a saver. The problem is that I'm really upset and know, already, what the medical advice is.  I'm just so upset and not coping with any of this and want rid of the related problems. 

I wondered if I would benefit from chatting with others in the same boat and that's why I wondered about a website to talk and ask questions - although I have not done that before. Thanks for replying.
    I'm sure you can find lots of people online who will be happy to push their own agendas and ideas, unfortunately that's the problem. 

Your doctor wants to do the best for your health, that means managing your cholesterol to safe levels while minimising possible side effects, there are lots of ways to approach that and sometimes it is a little bit of trial and error till you find what's right for you and your body. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback