Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

BG having a Laugh

edited 31 March 2021 at 11:38AM in Energy
4 replies 171 views
st999st999 Forumite
1.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
edited 31 March 2021 at 11:38AM in Energy
I am currently on BG's (it is really Scottish Gas but when I put SG it confuses some people) Scottish Gas energy and boiler cover May 2021 which with my usage gives a yearly cost of £904.58 for my gas and electricity.
I just had an email from SG wanting me to change to their Exclusive Fix 2022 now instead of waiting until May 31st and they won't charge me exit fees.
Just one small problem. The new tariff will cost me £1140.63 for the next years usage, an increase of £236.04

So they want me to change my tariff 61 days before the old one ends and pay more for the 61 days.
Why on earth would I do that? 🙃

Replies

• ann_droidann_droid Forumite
    189 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Because you can.
    Forum, Agin 'em or Just Neutral?

• SaverRateSaverRate Forumite
    551 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I received the same email and have now put in a complaint as the figures they provided to me do not add up. They reckon the new tariff will save me money if I went with their figures. However when I calculated them myself using the same usage it would cost me just under £200 a year more than my current tariff!
    FTB - April 2020 
  • David28David28 Forumite
    139 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am on that tariff as well and also got an email and I cannot get their figures to match my usage either using my current tariff.
    Even using their standard tariff does not add up.

• TokmonTokmon Forumite
    629 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    I received the same email and have now put in a complaint as the figures they provided to me do not add up. They reckon the new tariff will save me money if I went with their figures. However when I calculated them myself using the same usage it would cost me just under £200 a year more than my current tariff!
    They will be basing it off savings from a standard tariff because that's what you will be on if you do nothing and I'm sure Ofgem dictate it must be calculated in this way which i don't really agree with.

David28 said:
    I am on that tariff as well and also got an email and I cannot get their figures to match my usage either using my current tariff.
    Even using their standard tariff does not add up.
    Did you take into account that from today (i see you posted yesterday) that the standard tariff will be allowed to increase their prices so they probably based it off that considering your tariff ends in May.