Anyone with rheumatoid arthritis managed to get a jab

Replies

• olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the issue of which priority group someone is in depends on whether or not they are taking medication, and what type, to deal with the arthritis. I think that another factor is how well the disease is controlled and whether it is currently active.

I have an inflammatory arthritis, for which I take two immunosuppressants. But because these drugs control my arthritis really well, I was advised by my rheumatology consultant to self-isolate rather than to shield. He also wrote to my GP about this. My GP is fully aware of my condition anyway as I was diagnosed in 2016 and it took until 2019 to get the arthritis under any sort of control, so there are a lot of recent entries into my medical records about it.

This isn't a question you need to answer publicly, but do you take medications for your rheumatoid arthritis? Were you advised to shield or self-isolate? The British Society for Rheumatology has put together a risk scoring guide but I guess that if your personal situation is not shown on the list then you'd end up in Group 10 for vaccination..

Here's a link to the list (the link is under "Am I at risk?"
    https://nras.org.uk/resource/frequently-asked-questions-about-coronavirus-covid-19/#h1

Do you have a consultant you can contact about it?

I am sorry that you are worried about returning to work but understand them. Have you spoken to your manager about your concerns? Does your employer offer Covid-19 testing to their employees or anything else that might ease your fears? I think that something a lot of people forget is that the majority of people you come across on a daily basis don't have Covid-19. That's what I have to keep telling myself when I leave the house, or when my children go to college.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That chart is very similar to the one for psoriasis. Probably because a lot of the drugs used are common between the 2 conditions. 
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    That chart is very similar to the one for psoriasis. Probably because a lot of the drugs used are common between the 2 conditions. 
    Yeah, I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis psoriasis (psoriasis since age 11 and then the PsA was diagnosed five years ago). If it hadn't been for the arthritis developing, I'd still have the horrific visual effects of the psoriasis. The drugs got rid of nearly all of the psoriasis, except a bit on my scalp which is hidden by my hair.

I don't understand why I was never offered DMARD or biologic treatment for the psoriasis as I had frequent and major flares. I had to tolerate decades of people staring/making snide comments/asking if it was infectious.

Thank goodness my rheumatology consultant understands and empathises about the effects of the psoriasis on the individual and put me on the DMARD/biologic treatment as soon as he could. Absolutely amazing and a total life-changer (the medication and my consultant).

The psoriasis went pretty much overnight on one biologic but that drug had to be changed due to side effects. However, despite the frequent change of biologic over three years to find one that worked on the arthritis but without major side effects, the psoriasis has remained under control. No more disgusting, smelly, messy ointments!
  • wannabe_a_saverwannabe_a_saver Forumite
    433 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis psoriasis (psoriasis since age 11 and then the PsA was diagnosed five years ago). If it hadn't been for the arthritis developing, I'd still have the horrific visual effects of the psoriasis. The drugs got rid of nearly all of the psoriasis, except a bit on my scalp which is hidden by my hair.

I don't understand why I was never offered DMARD or biologic treatment for the psoriasis as I had frequent and major flares. I had to tolerate decades of people staring/making snide comments/asking if it was infectious.

Biologics haven't been around for very long, they're a relatively new family of drugs but as you know a fantastically effective one2
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mojo1 said:
    I checked my records and it says RA. Rheumatoid factor over 500.

Pointed that out to the GP, she replied that I am in group 10. Can't reply to the text.

I'm really worried about returning to the office soon but I don't think there's anything I can do.
    Go on the NHS booking website, tick the box that you have medical conditions, it should then let you book an appointment at a mass vaccination centre or local pharmacy. When you go to your appointment take with evidence of your condition, the clinical lead at the centre can then decide if you should be vaccinated. 
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • edited 25 March at 8:54AM
    unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 March at 8:54AM
    I started off on Methotrexate after battling for 2 years with the ointments and gels, never feeling clean, always greasy or sticky. Also the severe constipation and tiredness from maxing out on Dovobet, and that was only for my torso. 
    That worked well apart from a patch on one elbow and a few spots on the back that wouldn't go away.
    I had to change to Apremilast in September last year as its the only systemic/biologic that is not contra-indicated with my BCG treatment for my bladder cancer. It was slow to take effect but unlike MTX is 100% effective. Not a single plaque left
    I thought changing to Apremilast would get me out of shielding but whereas you needed 2 co-morbidities with MTX, only one was needed for Apremilast. 
  • mojo1mojo1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't a question you need to answer publicly, but do you take medications for your rheumatoid arthritis? Were you advised to shield or self-isolate? The British Society for Rheumatology has put together a risk scoring guide but I guess that if your personal situation is not shown on the list then you'd end up in Group 10 for vaccination.

I only take Ibuprofen. I have tried other things in the past but tended to react badly to them, one of the common problems with the underlying case - Reiter's Syndrome. I was not told to shield or self-isolate, I guess because I am not taking any medication at the moment.

I should probably contact them to have this reviewed as it's been a decade and new treatments are becoming available. The pain is at times quite bad, partly due to having a desk job which is really bad for RA.
  • mojo1mojo1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    silvercar said:
    mojo1 said:

Pointed that out to the GP, she replied that I am in group 10. Can't reply to the text.

I'm really worried about returning to the office soon but I don't think there's anything I can do.
    Go on the NHS booking website, tick the box that you have medical conditions, it should then let you book an appointment at a mass vaccination centre or local pharmacy. When you go to your appointment take with evidence of your condition, the clinical lead at the centre can then decide if you should be vaccinated. 

I tried but it won't let me. As soon as I put in my NHS number or other details it says I'm not eligible.
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    mojo1 said:
    This isn't a question you need to answer publicly, but do you take medications for your rheumatoid arthritis? Were you advised to shield or self-isolate? The British Society for Rheumatology has put together a risk scoring guide but I guess that if your personal situation is not shown on the list then you'd end up in Group 10 for vaccination.

I only take Ibuprofen. I have tried other things in the past but tended to react badly to them, one of the common problems with the underlying case - Reiter's Syndrome. I was not told to shield or self-isolate, I guess because I am not taking any medication at the moment.

I should probably contact them to have this reviewed as it's been a decade and new treatments are becoming available. The pain is at times quite bad, partly due to having a desk job which is really bad for RA.
    I think that a referral back to a consultant would be beneficial for you. The medications that are available now are amazing. I was very reluctant to start taking them as I knew that it was for life and I really, really hate taking drugs. Any drugs, including paracetamol. I take one medication weekly and one monthly and wouldn't be without them for any reason now. They really are life-changing.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mojo1 said:
    silvercar said:
    mojo1 said:

I tried but it won't let me. As soon as I put in my NHS number or other details it says I'm not eligible.
    I would keep trying every few days. Even if the words are slow to update, the software is updated more often as more people are eligible for the vaccine. It currently says 50+, people aged 49 are reporting being able to book.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]gexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.