Anyone with rheumatoid arthritis managed to get a jab

mojo1mojo1 Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
Rheumatoid arthritis is on the list of conditions that are supposed to be getting vaccinated now, but trying to book online it won't let me. In called 119 and was told that it's not on the system yet, but to try again tomorrow because it might appear 

Had anyone managed to get vaccinated on the basis of having rheumatoid arthritis?

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also in category 6 (but not with rheumatoid arthritis), and was able to book online on 23.2.21, and had it done on 1.3.21. I've seen others being told that their particular condition is not eligible when it is, though.
  • goodfella66goodfella66 Forumite
    309 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    My wife has rheumatoid arthritis (along with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia) and she had her jab about 3 weeks ago. The doctor's surgery rang her (or arranged someone to ring her...not sure which) and booked a date and time. They told her this was based on clinical reasons, hence they couldn't book me in at the same time.
  • grumpyoldwomangrumpyoldwoman Forumite
    181 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    I don't think rheumatoid arthritis in itself is one of the conditions but more the medication taken for it, immunosuppressants for example. I'm 67 and am classed as CEV because of the medication I'm on for RA so was in group 4 and had mine in February. If you've been getting letters and emails for being on the CEV list then you should have been offered a vaccine by now.
  • mojo1mojo1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Some NHS websites say just rheumatoid arthritis, some say if you have it and are taking certain medications that weaken your immune system.

My immune system is messed up and I have a condition similar to Lupus, which is also on the list. I'll try the GP today or call 119 again. Not sure what else to do. Thanks everyone.
  • MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will also depend where your specific area is along it's schedule, some are ahead and have completed all the CEV and most of the additional conditions and so were due to be moving into the 50+ groups, some have only just completed the oldest age groups and have barely started the additional conditions groups. 
  • mojo1mojo1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    My GP said I have to wait. The government website and several other sources say otherwise though:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-older-adults/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-older-adults

I suppose I will just have to wait but it's a mess, different people seem to have different guidance.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guidance is the same, it's the interpretation that varies.
    Although things are on the list, it's the fine details of what level of severity qualifies coming from the expert body for that condition that is the deciding factor.
    Psoriasis for example is on the list. A score on the Pasi scale of 5 wont bump you up the list. A score of 19 which I have does.
    The same will apply for such things as lowered immunity as well. 
  • 68ComebackSpecial68ComebackSpecial Forumite
    545 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    mojo1 said:
    My GP said I have to wait. The government website and several other sources say otherwise though:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-older-adults/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-older-adults

I suppose I will just have to wait but it's a mess, different people seem to have different guidance.
    Under the list of conditions there is a qualifying statement - "Whether you are offered the vaccine may depend on the severity of your condition"

In any case the list of conditions isn't exhaustive - for example it doesn't include COPD which, depending on severity, would have placed sufferers in the CEV category.
  • mojo1mojo1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is quite bad, but was diagnosed over a decade ago and hasn't had any follow-up since. I've been extremely careful because if I get an infection like COVID the results are unpredictable but could be extremely bad.
  • edited 19 March at 5:35PM
    KittenChopsKittenChops Forumite
    201 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 19 March at 5:35PM
    mojo1 said:
    Rheumatoid arthritis is on the list of conditions that are supposed to be getting vaccinated now, but trying to book online it won't let me. In called 119 and was told that it's not on the system yet, but to try again tomorrow because it might appear 

Had anyone managed to get vaccinated on the basis of having rheumatoid arthritis?
    Yes, me (my first vaccine is booked in for tomorrow).

My local area has just started to allow people in the 50-54 age bracket to book their first one (I am under 50).

I hadn't been contacted by anyone so I called 119 last weekend to book my first vaccine.  They said that my medical record had not been flagged so I would have to wait for my age group.

I called my GP surgery on Monday morning - part of their recorded message said that if you were calling with a covid vaccine query, then you should call another number.  So I did (this number turned out to be another GP surgery / medical centre who are doing the vaccines for my GP surgery).  I explained that I thought I should be group 6 - I was asked which medical condition I had that made me think this, to which I answered "rheumatoid arthritis"  - their response was "let's get you booked in then."  

My sister had the exact same thing (she is over 50 and also has RA) but as her GP surgery allows their patients to contact them via email, she got her medical records flagged as group 6 about three weeks ago & had her first vaccine about a week ago. (They were initially adamant that she should wait for her age group to be called but she replied back quoting the NHS / government text around RA and they then agreed.  Personally I think she should be in a higher priority group as she is also taking immunosuppressant medication and she was sent a shielding letter last year, again only after she queried it.)

The website for the NRAS (national RA society) says "The guidance on which groups of people will be eligible to receive the vaccine and in what priority was updated on 12/02/21 to more clearly identify people with RA. All people living with RA who have not already been offered the vaccine as part of an earlier priority group will be offered one in Priority Group 6."  (https://nras.org.uk/2021/03/02/update-on-covid-19-vaccine/)

All I can suggest is to call your GP surgery asap.  I suspect that they won't flag your medical record immediately as it may need someone with more medical knowledge to review it.

Good luck.