Double gas account, i want to close one of them what is a nightmare

in Energy
8 replies 162 views
Mike85Mike85 Forumite
7 Posts
Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
hi, i need some advice here.
Recently i have moved home, i asked british gas to move my accounts to my new address. Meanwhile my agency set me up with octopus already, i liked the rates so i decided to cancel my british gas accounts. Electricity was not a problem, gas still is. they cancelled my electricity account over an online chat, but i have been told that i have to ring the number for the gas. Since i had about 5-6 phonecalls to british gas who keep saying a need to contact my new supplier and they will know what to do, but all they can do is tell me that yes they are the supplier of my address. How can i finally get rid of british gas? they started to charge me as well and i'm paying 2 suppliers for gas...

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three issues here:
    1) You shouldn't have asked British Gas to move you over, or at least not the second you walked through the door.  You should have read the meters, found out who the existing supplier was, phone them up and say hey I've just moved in to 221B Baker Street, can I have a new account please, here are what the meters say...  Then at that point you would have been free to move back to British Gas if that's what you wanted.
    2) The Octopus account may or may not be the best for you, it may be the best for the agency.    These agency people tend not to read meters either.  Was Octopus the existing supplier when you moved in?
    3) You're probably stuck now between transfers as you've basically screwed the system up for want of a better term with requesting and then cancelling provider moves.  How long has it been since you moved in and when did you ask BG to transfer you? 

Check here as to who you're with on the database:

With regards to "charges", a direct debit payment is not your bill.
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mike85 said:
    Recently i have moved home, i asked british gas to move my accounts to my new address.
    That was the first mistake, it has been many years since you could move an account from one address to another like that.
    These days you move in and set up a new account with the existing supplier at that address and then you can switch to your preferred supplier.
    If you are making no progress with BG I'd suggest raising a complaint.
    BG are not your supplier and you do not wish to switch to them so there is nothing for Octopus to do.
    BG need to understand you are not switching to them and just cancel your account.

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As above postings the nightmare is of your own making.  :s

I would suspect the agency are getting a kickback from Octopus. There is even a thread on this site that you get £50 for referral.

Once sorted and given that the agency has not placed you on an exit fee contract? Then pop your yearly actual usage into either the CAB or Switch with Which sites to get a better deal.

You did actually read the meters when you moved in ?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hasbeen said:
    Once sorted and given that the agency has not placed you on an exit fee contract? Then pop your yearly actual usage into either the CAB or Switch with Which sites to get a better deal.
    The OP is safe on that point, all Octopus tariffs are 'no exit fee'.

• Mike85Mike85 Forumite
    7 Posts
    I know by now that it's partly my mistake, otherwise i wouldn't be here, thanks for telling me again. This was the 1st house move i have made when every bill is on my name. i moved in december, and it took more than a month for british gas to even respond, i guess the lockdown does made things a lot slower. i have the meter readings dates etc. so how come they could just cancel electricity (in debit) but not the gas (in credit) is hard to understand. Ofgem.gov.uk lists my supplier as BG, but i also have an email from octopus 2 days ago that it is them (they checked it from the meter serial number.)

• edited 27 February at 12:36PM
    Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 February at 12:36PM
    Mike85 said:
    I know by now that it's partly my mistake, otherwise i wouldn't be here, thanks for telling me again. This was the 1st house move i have made when every bill is on my name. i moved in december, and it took more than a month for british gas to even respond, i guess the lockdown does made things a lot slower. i have the meter readings dates etc. so how come they could just cancel electricity (in debit) but not the gas (in credit) is hard to understand. Ofgem.gov.uk lists my supplier as BG, but i also have an email from octopus 2 days ago that it is them (they checked it from the meter serial number.)

Well with all due respect all you needed to do when you moved out was say I'm moving from 17 Cherry Tree Lane to 221B Baker Street, here are my final meter readings, please close my account.  The situation would have taken of itself then.

Contact British Gas again and tell them you no longer live at 17 Cherry Tree Lane and you haven't lived there since December the 3rd (or whatever).  If you read the meters at the time you moved out, tell them the gas meter was 12345, electricity was 98765, ask to close the account as of that date, generate a final bill and give me back any credit left over.

It'll probably be safe to assume you are with Octopus at this point and have been all along, since it takes six weeks to switch, even if you moved in New Year's Eve, we're eight weeks beyond that so if BG had taken it back over you would have known by now I would have thought.
  • Mike85Mike85 Forumite
    7 Posts
    ok. i had a chat with BG this morning i told them about octopus is the current supplier and gave them gas meter serial number etc. and they gave me 2 options, so finally there is a process started to close the account and refund the credit within a month.
  • DolorDolor Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Life is a learning curve. Some suppliers will say that you can remain on the same tariff if you move home, and then switch your Deemed Supply back to them.