Cancellation rights as part of a party

We booked a trip to Disney for last year with some friends. They made the booking and I transferred the cash to her bank to pay for it. 
Obviously, we weren’t able to travel last year and so we moved it to this Easter. 
With everything that’s going on, we don’t feel that it would be a good idea to travel (even if the government let us). Therefore we have told the lead Booker that we want to cancel.
The travel company, magic breaks, are offering cancellations for those who want to do so, with only an admin fee charged.
However, the lead Booker still wants to go and is refusing to cancel the booking. She says she’ll move it, but not cancel.
what makes it even worse is that the relationship between us is basically none existent over this. She says that the travel company would charge her more money to cancel and rebook for just them, which basically leaves me totally out of pocket.
Is there anything I can do to get my money back?

«1

Replies

  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you paid the full cost or only a deposit?
    Are you talking about Walt Disney World in US or Disneyland , Paris?
     
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    82.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    To maintain the peace why not move the booking?  Might well end up being a refund in any event. Covid has a long long way to run yet. 
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • skiversincskiversinc Forumite
    19 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    The booking is for Disneyland Paris. We paid in full at the time. I’d love to keep the peace, but with the way things have deteriorated between us, it would be a painful experience. I’ve asked her to cancel us off the booking - she’s refused. The only thing she’s concerned about is that she wants to go and that’s it! No one else has any say. 
    I’m aware that travel restrictions may well still be in force, so therefore the existing dates may be available to cancel, but she won’t go for that, she just wants to move them. Unfortunately, we don’t want to move again. 
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can Brits even go to Europe at the moment? Even if you ended up going would you have to bother with them?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The booking is for Disneyland Paris. We paid in full at the time. I’d love to keep the peace, but with the way things have deteriorated between us, it would be a painful experience. I’ve asked her to cancel us off the booking - she’s refused. The only thing she’s concerned about is that she wants to go and that’s it! No one else has any say. 
    I’m aware that travel restrictions may well still be in force, so therefore the existing dates may be available to cancel, but she won’t go for that, she just wants to move them. Unfortunately, we don’t want to move again. 
    Does she realise shes being selfish ?

    Then your only option is for a refund to be given.
    Maybe see what the update from Boris is tomorrow, he may well say if we can travel abroad and what the requirements are or may give a date when travel will be allowed.
  • skiversincskiversinc Forumite
    19 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I don’t think we’d be able to go at the moment. But we’ve moved by a year already and the worry of when COVID will be at a manageable level is making the thought of going an unpleasant one.
    If she was on-board with cancelling, we’d be ok, but she’s insisting it be moved instead, which we don’t want to do.
    is there anything that would stop the travel company from splitting the booking and allowing us to cancel? 
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think we’d be able to go at the moment. But we’ve moved by a year already and the worry of when COVID will be at a manageable level is making the thought of going an unpleasant one.
    If she was on-board with cancelling, we’d be ok, but she’s insisting it be moved instead, which we don’t want to do.
    is there anything that would stop the travel company from splitting the booking and allowing us to cancel? 
    Id wait and see what tomorrow brings.
  • skiversincskiversinc Forumite
    19 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    DCFC79 said:
    The booking is for Disneyland Paris. We paid in full at the time. I’d love to keep the peace, but with the way things have deteriorated between us, it would be a painful experience. I’ve asked her to cancel us off the booking - she’s refused. The only thing she’s concerned about is that she wants to go and that’s it! No one else has any say. 
    I’m aware that travel restrictions may well still be in force, so therefore the existing dates may be available to cancel, but she won’t go for that, she just wants to move them. Unfortunately, we don’t want to move again. 
    Does she realise shes being selfish ?

    Then your only option is for a refund to be given.
    Maybe see what the update from Boris is tomorrow, he may well say if we can travel abroad and what the requirements are or may give a date when travel will be allowed.
    Unfortunately, I don’t think she sees her actions as selfish. Let’s just say she has some health issues that make her less perceptive of how her actions affect others. It’s just how she is. We’ve lived with it for a few years but it’s got worse lately.
    I think even if Boris says we can’t travel, she’ll just move the dates to what suits her and we’ll have to fall in line or lose our money. 
    It’s a shame that things have got this bad, but now we just need some resolve.
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The travel company will obviously only deal with the lead passenger. 

    Cancelling some people off a booking can affect those remaining on the booking. It's not always as simple as just cancelling X people and refunding their cost. Sometimes the holiday may be repriced so would cost those left on the booking more.

    Splitting the booking might be a workable idea. But it would depend on Magic Breaks being willing to do it and need the blessing of the lead booker. 
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moving the booking to 2022 may well incur an additional charge if prices next year are  more expensive.may cost more  
     So, it may cost her more anyway.
    There is a complaint of the facebook page about having to pay more to move to 2022.
    Maybe ask Magic Breaks what the cost to move to 2022 would be. That may change her mind.
    Disney Paris are intending re opening 2 April but I do not see international travel being allowed as soon as that.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals