Rights on deferring holiday....again :(

Hello, we have a holiday booked to Italy with Tui in May 2021....already deferred once in April 2020 because of COVID. I have currently paid £400 deposit, the balance of almost £1600 is due next week. I just logged into the Tui site and clicked amend my holiday, selecting the same week next year, same hotel, room & board etc, to find that the cost of the holiday is 33% more expensive! 🥺. Now I expected to pay a little bit more, but not that much! Our insurance covers us for COVID because the booking reference has remained the same and the holiday was originally booked in Feb20. Do we have any rights re price deferring the holiday to the same next year?

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes , but not at the existing price 

You need to pay any difference

Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    82.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we have any rights re price deferring the holiday to the same next year?
    The hotelier etc control the pricing not the tour operator. Covid is going to increase prices across the board. 
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • edited 22 February at 8:18AM
    ButtsButts Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 February at 8:18AM
    The hotelier etc control the pricing not the tour operator. Covid is going to increase prices across the board. 
    I would imagine that TUI have quite a bit of bargaining power with Hotels and they operate their own Aircraft.

The more likely reason for the increases is in preparation for their "re-booking bonus" when they cancel most existing holidays in the next few months and offer you the same holiday next year for the same price (using the bonus) or slightly more. 

Don't be conned opt for the return of your money instead and choose your own replacement at a later date and from the whole of the market.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Butts said:
    I would imagine that TUI have quite a bit of bargaining power with Hotels and they operate their own Aircraft.

The more likely reason for the increases is in preparation for their "re-booking bonus" when they cancel most existing holidays in the next few months and offer you the same holiday next year for the same price (using the bonus) or slightly more. 

Don't be conned opt for the return of your money instead and choose your own replacement at a later date and from the whole of the market.
    The whole of the market has rocketed in price due to pent up demand. 
    They’d arguably be better doing a deal with TUI to move it 
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    82.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Butts said:

Not a light switch moment when everything simply returns to normal. Covid is going to have to be paid for. Loss of income so far must be considerable. Debts will be accumulating. 
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    TUI's recent sale recently ended. Rather generous discount codes were available to bring down the advertised holiday cost.  This may temporarily and I suspect another sales campaign will be out before long and likely bring down that 2021 cost.
    May in Italy is low season - holidays will not sell out at this point.