New Post Advanced Search

Unheated porch floor

8 replies 131 views
norakaynorakay Forumite
1 posts
Second Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
I have an unheated upvc porch with a wooden floor. The porch is damp and cold and we'd like to do something to protect the existing floor (which is swelling a bit, which you can see in the photo). We were thinking maybe vinyl, but aren't sure if that will work in an unheated space. Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't have much of a budget now, but would really like to do something to improve the floor and also make it not look so ugly. Thanks

Replies

• TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sealing the porch floor to prevent the damp getting to whatever flooring is being used would seem to be a sensible first step.  We have an unheated porch but have never had a problem with damp as it also has decent ventilation.
  • Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Timber floorboards like that will expand and contract with the changing ambient moisture levels in the air over the seasons - do small gaps open between each board in the height of summer? If they aren't actually damp, tho', they should rot or anything too bad.

Are there any signs of excessive damp - condensation on the inside panes, etc. that would suggest you need extra ventilation in there? How many mm can you raise the floor height by before it interferes with doors and stuff?
  • froggletfrogglet Forumite
    767 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We have quarry tiles and a mat. Never had a problem with condensation 
  • kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    12.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quarry tiles here as well, no heating, so I have put the off cuts of underlay and carpet on the floor.
    :) Sun, Sea :)

• stuart45stuart45 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I did a brick floor on our porch.
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think norakay was hoping for a 'warmer' and more welcoming surface than 'solid'.

What they have is already quite 'warm', tho' - timber is a good insulator, so wouldn't feel too bad even if you went out there bare-foot.

I can't see any reason why cushioned vinyl couldn't be put down directly on top if they preferred that sort of finish. It won't make that room any warmer, but I guess it'll 'feel' more accommodation and welcoming underfoot.

• Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 said:
    Sealing the porch floor to prevent the damp getting to whatever flooring is being used would seem to be a sensible first step.  We have an unheated porch but have never had a problem with damp as it also has decent ventilation.
    Not if the damp (if that's what it is) is coming up from underneath the floor.  In fact, if that's the case then sealing the top would prevent the damp from evaporating and make the problem worse.

What is under the floorboards?  Presumably it's some sort of suspended floor with a small void, which should be well ventilated.  Are there any air bricks outside?  Are they blocked?

Covering with vinyl will no doubt help with comfort on the feet, but it won't solve anything if the problem is damp underneath the floorboards.
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the 'damp' problem is from the usual cause - it's an unheated room which is also unvented.