Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Choosing correct drill bit

I have to use the correct drill bit for a 10mm raw plug . My drill bit only have number on them like 4 or 4.5. Which is the correct size for 10mm

Replies

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    One that has 10 on it?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drill bits are usually (always?) shown as actual 'mm' sizes - ie the diameter of the hole they will drill. So, a '10mm' drill will drill a 10mm dia hole.

Plugs can be a bit more tricky - it depends on whether they are referring to drill size (for the hole) or screw size (the size of screw they will accept).

So, for these plugs, read the specs again - does it say 'for size 4 screw', or does it say 'drill 4mm hole'?

'10mm' is a large hole. And that will take a large plug - around the size of a male pinkie (yes, I mean yer little finger...). So, what's this for? How big does the plug look? Finger-sized?
  • Ajmason42Ajmason42 Forumite
    104 Posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary
    10 mm seems very large  post pic of the rawplug next to rule  so we can all see 
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either the strip of plugs or the packet should say what size drill to use.
  • RisteardRisteard Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Common sizes are:
    Red rawl plugs (5.5mm drill bit)
    Brown rawl plugs (7mm drill bit)
    Not sure if that helps for what you have.
    RECI/Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Risteard said:
    Common sizes are:
    Red rawl plugs (5.5mm drill bit)
    Brown rawl plugs (7mm drill bit)
    Not sure if that helps for what you have.
    Think blue is 10mm?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • fenwick458fenwick458 Forumite
    926 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    red and brown are common, and industry standards. i've seen grey ones at 10mm and 8mm, and blue ones at 8mm and 10mm, so best to just actually measure the plug unless its red or brown.
    a lot of cheap stuff comes from china with the "grey variable size wallplug" that it seems hard to find a suitable drill from my selection, 
    most of time I throw them away and just use my own plugs which I know what size to drill with
  • edited 30 January at 10:07PM
    greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January at 10:07PM
    red and brown are common, and industry standards. i've seen grey ones at 10mm and 8mm, and blue ones at 8mm and 10mm, so best to just actually measure the plug unless its red or brown.
    a lot of cheap stuff comes from china with the "grey variable size wallplug" that it seems hard to find a suitable drill from my selection, 
    most of time I throw them away and just use my own plugs which I know what size to drill with
    Yep that's what I do.
    I also chuck the screws away cos they are horrible soft crap.

• pramsay13pramsay13 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I normally just hold the rawl plug up to the drill bit so you can see if they are the same size.
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the wall plugs that come on a strip will have a gauge hole on the strip so that you can select the right drill bit and size of screw.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.