Honours where they are deserved.

We have a few individuals within our village who go out of their way to help others, including the needy in the wider environment of our nearby conurbation. They frequently request food, clothing and furnishings for needy families from all backgrounds, especially those who fall between the cracks of the official assistance. They then go out and deliver the assistance to them
I was rather surprised that the New Years Honours list was full of the usual "Look at me, look at what I've achieved or done on TV/stage/sports field/etc", whereas none of these very deserving individuals got a mentioned. Then again, am I really?
Please to be discriminated against by financial institutions. Thank-you for taking advantage of my Dyspraxia.:)

Replies

• MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We have such people in our village too and they go out of their way to help others, stay up late sorting clothes and food so they can get out early next morning to deliver to people less fortunate. They also arrange for people to visit lonely elderly people (at a distance now) and take them food and supplies and they take their dogs out as required and seem to be always on the go. At Christmas they organised Christmas cards and gifts for those who had no-one. They set up a group on Facebook so we can all know what's going on. Our little community recognises and thanks these wonderfully philanthropic people who are not doing these things for recognition but like you say, people like that should all be getting much better and wider reaching recognition. I hate that there's a pandemic, of course but I love the unselfish community spirit that's continuing to blossom where I live. 
    Please note MSE forum rules state "no two people have the same circumstances or experiences and it is up to you to investigate, check and check again before you make any decisions or take any action based on information you glean from our community. Remember, don't rely on what you are reading. Verify it and protect yourself. You are responsible for any action you consequently make." Verify everything. Inappropriate comments will be reported, as per Forum rules.
  • vixx_123vixx_123 Forumite
    76 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you looked at the full list of Honours, rather than those highlighted by the media?

You can nominate people in your community to receive an honour on gov.uk/honours
  • Jenni_DJenni_D Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    This OP does seem rather an antithesis to the title of this board, being as it is a bit negative. :)
    Jenni x