Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

UKPS PCN recieved Parked in Closed Pub Car Park

I have just received via post a Parking Charge Notice from UKPS (Leamington Warwickshire) for parking in a closed pub car park. The reason on the form is "Non Customer Parked in a Customer Only Car Park"
I was parked for around 15 minutes. There were other vehicles already there and didn't notice any particular signs although I wasn't looking for them due to the pub being closed and naively not thinking too much about it . In the letter received they have included a photo of my car and also myself (I assume) walking back to the car.
After reading some information on the forum I am still slightly unclear on how to proceed. Should I pay this charge for being naive in thinking if would be fine to park there due to the pub being closed or contact the management of the pub to ask them to speak to the company to get them to cancel the charge?  The letter is dated 22/12/2020 and have given the standard 14 days to pay £60 instead of the £100. 
To be honest if I am to pay any penalty I would rather go into the pub itself and hand to them instead.
Any advice given would be greatfully received.

Replies

• edited 30 December 2020 at 9:26PM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    34.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2020 at 9:26PM
    The parking contract was between yourself and UKPS , not the pub , the pub has employed sub contractors and the Driver was parked without permission

Any appeal would have to win on laws , signage and landowner authority issues

I am not going to tell you to pay it , or not , it's your decision , after reading the newbies FAQ sticky thread near the top of the forum

In future , do not park on private property unless you have actual permission or have complied with the signage

This is not a Penalty , or a fine
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Okay thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I will just pay it and move on with my life. 
  • BrownTroutBrownTrout Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No you have no need what so ever to ukps
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    33.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should I pay this charge for being naive in thinking if would be fine to park there due to the pub being closed
    So if you're away from home, is it ok for all and sundry to park on your drive?  Is this any different?  Motorists need to think much more clearly about this, as almost every private car park throughout the country is infested by private parking companies, just waiting to trap the naive, stupid and unwary at £100 a pop. And it's going to get worse as PPC turnover is down by ~80% as a result of COVID. They need every single penny they can get.  And it looks like you're going to hand over your £100 to them to perpetuate their scam. 
    Okay thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I will just pay it and move on with my life. 
    Really not sure why you're here asking for help on a forum dedicated to fighting unfair private parking charges?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    95.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I will just pay it and move on with my life. 
    Don't be daft.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas said:
      And it looks like you're going to hand over your £100 to them to perpetuate their scam. 
    Really not sure why you're here asking for help on a forum dedicated to fighting unfair private parking charges?
    Is it really unfair if I parked there then. Yes it seems unfair to me for stopping somewhere for ten minutes in an almost empty carpark but some people will say I should have checked before doing so. With what is going on at the moment some things don't seem as important and some of us have other things going on that can take our minds of thingsThanks for your advice though which you clearly state its my fault while at the same time say I'm being scammed and allowing the issuers to get away with it.
    Happy New Year though
    95.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You are being scammed and BrownTrout is right, no-one here would pay it.
  • edited 30 December 2020 at 10:41PM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    34.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2020 at 10:41PM
    Just park on a public road as allowed by the road tax you pay annually , not on somebody's private property !

The sc#mmers are just waiting to pounce on unwary victims who don't read signs and think all parking is Penalty free , in these modern times it's easy to get conned , but don't make it easy for the conmen 

What the driver did was foolish and the sc#mmers know there is always one along in a minute

Paying sc#mmers is also foolish because they then perpetuate the sc#m
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Okay thanks all. I will appeal as per the guide on the forum.
    95.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, then ignore them.  Two wrongs don't make a right and that is why you don't pay and fund the industry.