IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

No Claims Bonus

edited 29 December 2020 at 11:57AM in Motoring
43 replies 871 views

Replies

• Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why don't you "self-insure" like you "self-maintain"?
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I always put down the number of years given on the renewal notice from my current insurer, because that is how many years' no claims discount I have. 
    How many years I have gone without making a claim is another number entirely, but is not what most insurers ask for.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    So you have 30 years
    They recognise 9.
    15 is mentioned somewhere in there too.

And you have a prang.

How many NCDs do you then take in to your next policy?

Assuming your NCDs are not protected that is.
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Scrapit said:
    fred246 said:
    I know it doesn't make much difference but I don't want to give them an excuse not to pay a claim. If there is money to be paid out they will do anything to avoid paying.
    The problem exists when you make things up, like in this post. No insurance company is gonna say "you have told us you had 30 years no claims, our form says 15. Its cancelled".
    I'll ask again, what advantage do you feel 30 years no claims has over 15 when 15 is the maximum recorded and you have had the full benefit of all availible discount?
    I just answer all the questions truthfully. "How long have you held your licence for?" I just tell the answer. I don't say "How many years do I have to hold it for to be cheaper?" So when they say "how many years with no claims?" I tell the truth. If they asked "How many years no claims does it say on your renewal?" I would put that down. Some of the comparison sites were going up to 50 years no claims. I really doubt anyone has got a renewal notice with 50 years on. Apparently each company just puts it's own maximum on the renewal notice. If you argue with them they will sometimes add an extra year on. I have obviously not been asked for 'proof of no claims' for at least the last 20 years. If they refused to pay up after an accident on the basis that I was dishonest they would have to prove that.
  • Car_54Car_54 Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    fred246 said:
    Scrapit said:
    fred246 said:
    I know it doesn't make much difference but I don't want to give them an excuse not to pay a claim. If there is money to be paid out they will do anything to avoid paying.
    The problem exists when you make things up, like in this post. No insurance company is gonna say "you have told us you had 30 years no claims, our form says 15. Its cancelled".
    I'll ask again, what advantage do you feel 30 years no claims has over 15 when 15 is the maximum recorded and you have had the full benefit of all availible discount?
    I just answer all the questions truthfully. "How long have you held your licence for?" I just tell the answer. I don't say "How many years do I have to hold it for to be cheaper?" So when they say "how many years with no claims?" I tell the truth. If they asked "How many years no claims does it say on your renewal?" I would put that down. Some of the comparison sites were going up to 50 years no claims. I really doubt anyone has got a renewal notice with 50 years on. Apparently each company just puts it's own maximum on the renewal notice. If you argue with them they will sometimes add an extra year on. I have obviously not been asked for 'proof of no claims' for at least the last 20 years. If they refused to pay up after an accident on the basis that I was dishonest they would have to prove that.
    If it ever went to court, the judge would decide on the balance of probablities. The insurer would have documentary evidence: you would have none. How do you see that going?

3.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Car_54 said:
    fred246 said:
    Scrapit said:
    fred246 said:
    If it ever went to court, the judge would decide on the balance of probablities. The insurer would have documentary evidence: you would have none. How do you see that going?

I don't understand. I have had no claims for 30 years. If an insurer said I was dishonest they would have to prove that I had had a claim and that would be impossible because I haven't!
  • As already explained by others, it doesn't matter how long you have driven for without having an accident or making a claim as this isn't what insurance companies ask for.
    They simply want to know how many years no claims bonus has your current or last insurer given you and this is what you need to provide when taking out a new policy.

I've driven for 38 years without a claim or accident yet my latest renewal document shows that I have 9 years NCB as this is the highest figure that they give.
    3.6K Posts
    Forumite
    They simply want to know how many years no claims bonus has your current or last insurer given you and this is what you need to provide when taking out a new policy.
    I have just said I haven't needed to provide anything for at least 20 years. They obviously only ask certain people.
  • fred246 said:
    I have just said I haven't needed to provide anything for at least 20 years. They obviously only ask certain people.
    Asking for physical evidence of NCB entitlement hardly ever happens nowadays as insurance companies have access to various insurance databases but when taking out or getting a quote for a new policy, you will still be asked to declare how much NCB you currently have.
  • ScrapitScrapit Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    fred246 said:
    Scrapit said:
    fred246 said:
    Why would they ever refuse to pay? Assuming you've been honest about your vehicle they have no reason to, and claiming 30 years when only having 15 years documented no claims is incredibly weak, thats not gonna happen.