Just got scammed, gave my bank details away

edited 30 November 2020 at 12:25PM in Techie Stuff
7 replies 361 views
x34chax34cha Forumite
43 Posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts
Forumite
edited 30 November 2020 at 12:25PM in Techie Stuff
I just got an email from DPD, or so I thought, I was expecting a parcel, so it seemed legit, I wasn't at home so the "sorry we missed you" thing checked out, It asked for a £3 charge and to enter my debit card details, it then asked for my redelivery address and then once I checked out it says confirm your bank number and sort code for verification, so i thought like the barclays thing I normally do and entered it along with mother's maiden name. Soon I clicked submit, it just struck me out of nowhere that I'm a complete god damn moron, checked the link and some scam website. Immediately cancelled my card. Now I don't know what to do, they have my bank details and my girlfriends address, my dob and my mother's maiden name. Any advice? What can they do with that info? 

Replies

• Not that much, outside of that particular card.

You might want to register a CIFAS marker though, to prevent any new credit applications without further checks.

• alanwsgalanwsg Forumite
    703 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    Get in touch with your bank and tell them what happened.
    Be prepared for a locked bank account for a while as things get sorted.

• x34chax34cha Forumite
    43 Posts
    Forumite
    Not that much, outside of that particular card.

You might want to register a CIFAS marker though, to prevent any new credit applications without further checks.

Can they do that tho as they don't have my correct address? I put my girlfriends address down
  • x34chax34cha Forumite
    43 Posts
    Forumite
    I asked my bank, they basically said they can't do anything as my card is blocked, I said can they log into my account through telephone banking and send funds, they said no, I said can they log in and see my account info, they said yes, i asked them can you enable additional security, they said "don't worry they won't be able to claim anything".. So I'm kinda.. Left a bit unsure but.. Whatever I guess. 
  • PRAISETHESUNPRAISETHESUN Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd log in and change your online banking security info anyway just to be safe, particularly if you use any of the information you gave out as recovery questions. If you use those details anywhere else (eg. for your email account) then change those as well.

Its possible, although unlikely, that they could try to steal your identity using your details. The fact they don't all match up (eg. you used your girlfriends address) may save you, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Keep a regular eye on your bank statements for any odd transactions and on your credit reports for any credit accounts that you didn't authorise.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    x34cha said:
    I asked my bank, they basically said they can't do anything as my card is blocked, I said can they log into my account through telephone banking and send funds, they said no, I said can they log in and see my account info, they said yes, i asked them can you enable additional security, they said "don't worry they won't be able to claim anything".. So I'm kinda.. Left a bit unsure but.. Whatever I guess. 

Can you set up double identity check?
    Where the bank sends out a secure number to your verified mobile which then has to be entered prior to any transaction being authorised?
  • Blackbriar_040Blackbriar_040 Forumite
    24 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I received a similar scam email supposely from the Royal Mail last week!
    It stated: Unsucessful delivery attempt

Package: HM Revenue & Customs
    Package type: Large Letter
    Delivery date & Time Tuesday 24 November 2020 09;26

We attempted to deliver your package at 09:26 on Tuesday, 24 2020 but no one was available.
    Your parcel was returned to our depot and you need to reschedule your package delivery.
    Please reschedule your package delivery by pressing 'Reschedule Now' and one of our drivers will attempt to deliver your package.

My alarm bells went off all most immediately, I have never been contacted by email from Royal Mail for a missed delivery!  A quick google and discovered its a new redelivery scam thats been circulating nationwide!

With the Royal Mail headers, and the fact it mentions Revenue & Customs, I can see unsuspecting victims falling for this!