Forum Home» Cutting Tax

Duty and tax invoice

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Duty and tax invoice

10 replies 124 views
WwrrWwrr Forumite
4 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Soo I ordered things from China, they sent it no problem but....fedex was supposed to ship it to me within 5-7 working days so to make a long story short they lost my package and then I got sent a letter for duty and tax should I pay it even tho fedex lost my package 

Replies

• jimmojimmo Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who sent you the letter?

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    76.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Lost it, or held up in transit?  I recently received an album that took over 3 mionths to arrive from Canada. Far fewer air cargo flights are currently operating. Fedex will be operating as collection agent for UK Customs. Non payment and the item will be retained. Are you hoping to avoid the import duties? 
    “Far from seamlessly assimilating new ideas into our existing belief framework, research shows that we actually tend to get more firm in our cherished beliefs when those beliefs become challenged.”
    ― Daniel Crosby
  • WwrrWwrr Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Lost it, or held up in transit?  I recently received an album that took over 3 mionths to arrive from Canada. Far fewer air cargo flights are currently operating. Fedex will be operating as collection agent for UK Customs. Non payment and the item will be retained. Are you hoping to avoid the import duties? 
    They lost it completely I had to contact the seller in China to get a replacement sorted out there fine it’s just fedex messing me about 
  • WwrrWwrr Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    jimmo said:
    Who sent you the letter?

It wasn’t a letter it was a package i ordered jewellery form China 
  • WwrrWwrr Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    jimmo said:
    Who sent you the letter?

Fedex sent me a duty and tax invoice letter but I’m sure if I should pay it because they lost my package 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 21 November at 10:28PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    76.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 November at 10:28PM
    Wwrr said:
    jimmo said:
    Who sent you the letter?

Fedex sent me a duty and tax invoice letter but I’m sure if I should pay it because they lost my package 
    But you are receiving the goods. The loss has been incurred by the supplier. 

“Far from seamlessly assimilating new ideas into our existing belief framework, research shows that we actually tend to get more firm in our cherished beliefs when those beliefs become challenged.”
    ― Daniel Crosby
  • oldbikeblokeoldbikebloke Forumite
    950 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Wwrr said:
    jimmo said:
    Who sent you the letter?

duty and tax is payable to the UK Govt, the fact Fedex may have lost a package does not remove your legal liability to pay duty and tax on your import since it appears you have now received it .
    Fedex's role is to collect the tax on behalf of the govt
  • On-the-coastOn-the-coast Forumite
    83 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Any chance FedEx were holding onto your package until you paid the duty?  That’s what some postal services do... what does the small print say?
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you paid tax and duty on the replacement package?
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    76.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance FedEx were holding onto your package until you paid the duty?  That’s what some postal services do... what does the small print say?
    All couriers act as collection agents. The goods cannot released until due taxes are paid. 
    ― Daniel Crosby