Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Error when renewing pet insurance

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Error when renewing pet insurance

5 replies 237 views
GloriwulfGloriwulf Forumite
4 posts
First Post First Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
I renewed my pet insurance for an elderly pet at the end of last year and simply just agreed to the renewal price without thinking. I've never claimed for this animal before . I realise now that I failed to notify the insurer that he had been to the vet that year to investigate a lump as I genuinely forgot it happened. It turned out to be a harmless fat lump and I didn't claim. 
This week I had to take the him to the vet for an unrelated injury. Its when only digging out my insurance policy to claim for the treatment and reviewing the information I provided before that I remembered about the lump.
How should I resolve this? 
If I contact the insurer and tell them is it likely that they would allow me to correct the policy (with the correct exclusions or increased premium) or would they just cancel it as they may consider this as having   carelessly withheld information? If I make a claim the vets will need to send them the medical history and I don't want it to appear im trying to hide it.
If their most likely response is to cancel the policy, would I be best to suck up the cost of the current treatment, cancel the existing policy, and take out a new policy with another company (with full disclosure of all pre-existing conditions), rather than risk having a cancellation against my name?
I appreciate that this has the possibility of being a very expensive lesson in not just blindly renewing.

Replies

• Penelopa.PitstopPenelopa.Pitstop Forumite
    874 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Have you read T&C? Does they require to tell them about every visit or ilness? It will be pre-existing condition, but unless you try to claim for the same thing again, I don't think it will be problem

• TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    10K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would contact the insurer to be safe.  Far better to provide them with information they don't need than not to inform them and have the insurance cancelled when you try to claim.
  • GloriwulfGloriwulf Forumite
    4 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you for your responses. It doesn't seem to define it clearly in t&Cs but it does have a series of declaration questions on the renewal which the covering letter asks you to review. One of the questions asks if the pet has been seen by a vet (other than for vaccinations) in the last 12 months. The initial consultation for the lump took place when I took him to have his jabs and they later took him in for an ultrasound. I'm leaning towards phoning them up as you say as trying to guess what will happen is driving me nuts (have just found out this week I have a 50% chance of being made redundant so I'm in a bit of a mess!)
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you on  Lifetime  policy or a time limited one.
    If lifetime it is not likely to affect it.
    If a limited time one then the time for any further treatment ,or anything  connected to it ,will start from the date of the first consultation about it and will incur a restriction on the  the  policy.

• GloriwulfGloriwulf Forumite
    4 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you. I ended up calling them and was told that its not a problem as the declaration  questions actually dont need updating so no problems making the new claim.