Parking Eye and letter from DCBL

In August I went shopping to my local ASDA, was in the store for around 40 minutes, put my shopping in the car and then walked through to the town centre to do a bit more shopping which took around 45 minutes.  When I came back to my car my battery was flat as I had left my interior light was on.  I had a portable jump starter at home so walked home to fetch this and managed to get my car started.  I live over a mile away from ASDA so the walk there and back took a while.  A couple of weeks later I received a PCN from Parking Eye for £70, discounted to £40 if paid within 28 days as I had overstayed by 34 minutes which I ignored.  I have today received a Notice of Debt Recovery from DCBL in the sum of £140 saying I should make immediate payment to avoid any further action.  The letter goes on to say that I am no longer able to appeal the charge and that failure to pay will result in them recommending to their client to commence legal action against me.  I've read at lot about this on the newbies thread about whether to pay or not but still a bit unsure about what to do.  Do I continue to ignore them or should I pay?  

Replies

• RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore the debt collectors

Follow plan A , asap , keep on at them , the cause was a breakdown on site , car troubles
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Complain to the Asda, tell the manager the story of your breakdown and ask that he/she intervenes and get this cancelled. The manager normally has access to the PE PCN software from their desktop PC. 

2. Once PE hand cases over to a debt collector, they have all but given up on collecting themselves. We are yet to see any PE/debt collector case progress beyond silly letters to a court case. PE don't need DCBL to pursue their cases to court for them, with two in-house solicitors and an enforcement team of their own, they are more than capable of doing it themselves, as they did around 6 years ago with 130,000 court proceedings issued in that year. 

3. Stay resolute, and ignore anything from DCB Limited but come back if you get anything from DCB Legal, or direct from PE in the shape of a Letter of Claim or a formal court claim (N1) from the Northampton CCBC - most unlikely. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 31 October 2020 at 8:16PM
    KeithPKeithP Forumite
    27.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2020 at 8:16PM
    You need to be following the guidance offered in the NEWBIES thread.

The fourth post in that NEWBIES thread tells you exactly how to deal with debt collectors letter, but to summarise that post - ignore them.

It won't help you now, but for next time...

My car broke down last year in a Tesco Extra car park.
    I knew I wouldn't be able to move it for several hours, so spoke to the Customer Services desk.

Very helpful person typed registration number into this separate terminal and then told me "All done. You now have permission to stay in the car park for twenty-four hours. Come back if you need more time".

The moral of this story is, for anyone faced with a breakdown - take steps to avoid getting a ticket in the first place.
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The moral of this story is, for anyone faced with a breakdown - take steps to avoid getting a ticket in the first place.
    Absolutely sage. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • peskywabbitpeskywabbit Forumite
    7 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Redx said:

Follow plan A , asap , keep on at them , the cause was a breakdown on site , car troubles
    Plan A?
  • KeithPKeithP Forumite
    27.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redx said:

Plan A?
    Yes, plan A - as described in the first post of the NEWBIES thread.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Another poster who hasn't read the NEWBIES thread first?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redx said:

Plan A?
    In your opening post you clearly stated you had read the newbies thread
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redx said:

Plan A?
    Point 1 of my response at 7:54pm. 
  • peskywabbitpeskywabbit Forumite
    7 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Redx said:
    Redx said:

Plan A?
    In your opening post you clearly stated you had read the newbies thread
    I said I had read a lot on the Newbies thread, clearly I missed the most important bit!  Apologies to all those offended