Visiting other tiers

Probably a stupid question, but I've not really paid attention to the the new rules as we don't go anywhere beyond the supermarket, my parents (rule of 6) and school.

So we were thinking of booking a weekend away to go Christmas shopping, maybe in 3 weeks time. We first thought of Birmingham and stay in the first hotel we went to - bonus it's even cheaper than it was 20 years ago!! 
But my guess is that Birmingham will soon be in tier 3 if it isn't already, which might make travel and facilities more of an issue or even not allowed/recommended. 

We can book last minute so that's not a problem, but I am wondering if it's really worth it? Are we better off looking to an area not yet approaching tier 3 no idea where? Or just give up on the whole idea? 
I am starting to feel as though I need a change of scenery.
Whilst I appreciate that we need to learn with the virus, I don't want to break the rules either, I'm also conscious that I don't want to pass anything on to my parents who will become more dependent on me as the second wave progresses. 

I just don't know what to do for the best.
Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I’d leave it till the last minute then see where you fancy going. The guidance says not to travel to travel to or stay overnight unless essential in a tier 3 area.
    If you book somewhere nice to eat then the proper precautions should be in place. It’s not really any less safe than going to the shops in your local area if you’re careful. 
    I get why you want a break (I do to!) but I think I would prefer somewhere a bit quieter/more outdoorsy rather than shopping of a weekend at the moment. But that’s just me. I hate shopping at the best of times. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 October 2020 at 8:09PM
    Nothing legally stopping anyone in England visiting another part of England, so crack on. Retails shops havent shut anywhere in England, only real casualty on the High Street is betting shops.

I dont really care if people dont like me for posting that. "Waaah waaah waah moral duty waaah waaah advice waaah waaah waaah!"
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd be looking to stay at home, but if you need a break, look at places in Tier 1, as they'll take a few weeks to hit tier 3 potentially.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Nothing legally stopping anyone in England visiting another part of England, so crack on.

I dont really care if people dont like me for posting that. "Waaah waaah waah moral duty waaah waaah advice waaah waaah waaah!"
    Not visiting a tier 3 area if you’re concerned about your family is nothing to do with moral duty, it’s about not wanting to take the chance. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Barny1979
    Forumite
    To add, if your area becomes Tier 3 you shouldn't be travelling outside of area unless for work or essential reasons.
  • bradders1983
    Forumite
    Barny1979 said:
    To add, if your area becomes Tier 3 you shouldn't be travelling outside of area unless for work or essential reasons.
    ....which is advice and not legally enforceable.  So the OP can make her own decision knowing it wont be against the law.
  • Aranyani
    Aranyani Posts: 817
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Barny1979 said:
    Its guidance though, not the law.  

If you travel in your own car with only your own household and follow all precautions around distancing, hand washing, hygiene and mask wearing wherever you go then the risk to anyone else is negligible. 
  • gary83
    gary83 Posts: 905
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Barny1979 said:
    I'd be looking to stay at home, but if you need a break, look at places in Tier 1, as they'll take a few weeks to hit tier 3 potentially.
    Tier 1 locations might take a few weeks to reach tier 3, but if we all hunt them out and go and spend our holidays there then we’re bound to be able to speed the process up.
  • bradders1983
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    Nothing legally stopping anyone in England visiting another part of England, so crack on.

Not visiting a tier 3 area if you’re concerned about your family is nothing to do with moral duty, it’s about not wanting to take the chance. 
    Aye because nipping a mile over the border between Dronfield and Sheffield is like visiting a warzone 🙄🙄🙄
  • Barny1979
    Forumite
    Barny1979 said:
    ....which is advice and not legally enforceable.  So the OP can make her own decision knowing it wont be against the law.
    #wibble
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure