Where do I stand with this, buyer high return charges

edited 29 October 2020 at 7:33PM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
6 replies 351 views
cattiecattie Forumite
8.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
I sold an item some weeks ago, which I'd unfortunately measured incorrectly & agreed a return when buyer contacted me. Via paypal to his account I paid the approx cost of the courier return delivery charge in advance (which was slightly over what I'd originally charged the buyer for delivery) to enable him to send item back to me & told him he'd get a full refund when item was received back & asked him to ensure item was covered for the correct amount of compensation with courier. 

Item arrived back on the very last day the return case would be opened & I initiated instant refund via ebay. I've now received a bit of a snotty message stating that he'd chosen to send item via Royal Mail as he trusted them more than Hermes, so was now out of pocket & wants me to refund the excess he's paid for return for using Royal Mail rather than a courier & doesn't feel he should be out of pocket. I didn't use Hermes to send to him, but DPD who do next day delivery & I've found very reliable.

I know I was remiss when incorrectly measuring the item but I'd be grateful for advice here as I don't feel I should be having to pay more for the return delivery as using Royal Mail was his choice, not mine.  When selling items I always use the most cost effective way of sending as nobody wants to pay over the odds for delivery & fully expected him to use a courier for a heavy item like this. It seems he paid about double what a courier would have charged to get the item back to me.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.

Replies

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much was the return?  Is there a reason you didn't prepay a courier return - I would not send the funds to their PayPal before a return.   Personally I prepay returns and if they chose another method then it's down to them, but I am clear about this. 
  • edited 30 October 2020 at 11:40AM
    cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2020 at 11:40AM
    I am a private seller & originally agreed to ebay sending a label but it turned out the label was only for a parcel of up to 2k whilst item was over 7k. Anyway I called ebay cs who advised they couldn't supply one for courier, only the Royal Mail up to 2k,  but that I could send the cost of the courier to his paypal account for him to arrange the return, which is what i did. I sent him £10 which was roughly what I'd had to pay to send the item with appropriate cover, whilst I'd charged him £8.99 for delivery for item in the auction.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • I'm a business seller, so it's a little different, but I would have paid for a postage label rather than giving him the money. That way you're in control of the service he uses to do the return, as well as the cost. Obviously that's no good to you now, but could be useful advice in the future although of course I hope you don't need it! You could ask him for a copy of his receipt showing the amount he's paid to Royal Mail, either a photograph or a scan, and send him the money if he produces a receipt. Or you could tell him that you provided sufficient for him to send it back with a reliable company such as DPD and that as he chose to use a different service, that's on him. Whatever you do, do NOT communicate with him via any method other than eBay messages, so you have it in writing in a form eBay will be able to see. If he then threatens you with bad feedback, or leaves you bad feedback relating to the cost of return postage, you should be able to phone eBay and ask them to remove it as you have done everything that you need to do.
    Depending on the value of the item and the cost he's trying to extract from him, you may be better off offering to pay him the extra if he sends you a receipt.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cattie said:
    I am a private seller & originally agreed to ebay sending a label but it turned out the label was only for a parcel of up to 2k whilst item was over 7k. Anyway I called ebay cs who advised they couldn't supply one for courier, only the Royal Mail up to 2k,  but that I could send the cost of the courier to his paypal account for him to arrange the return, which is what i did. I sent him £10 which was roughly what I'd had to pay to send the item with appropriate cover, whilst I'd charged him £8.99 for delivery for item in the auction.
    What you charged for outward postage is immaterial.  What would the cost have been to return it for a retail customer?  Do you mean 7kg or £7000?  How much is he asking for?
  • edited 30 October 2020 at 2:47PM
    cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2020 at 2:47PM
    There didn't seem any way of arranging a pre paid courier label as far as I could see, which is why I sent him the paypal payment to arrange it his end & he seemed quite  happy with that & he even mentioned using Hermes for the return.

He did send a receipt of the Parcelforce cost with his request, however, looking at the messages I sent him regarding the return, I did ask for it to be returned via courier & told him I was sending him a little more than I'd paid for delivery just in case the courier he used cost a bit more, as I know that different courier companies charge different amounts for extra insurance cover. So I've told him that it was his choice to use Parcelforce & pay more than using one of the othe courier companies available if he didn't want to use Hermes & that I couldn't refund him the excess cost.

I know I stand to get a neg, which will be my very first, but should it be nasty & not factual I'll get onto ebay to see if it can be removed as they have access to the messages we've exchanged. 

Thanks for advice.

• I would ignore him. You gave him instructions he chose to ignore. Let him get in with it.
    Old username Taadaa, seems l went over the virtual rainbow bridge. 
    Total unsecured debt January 2020: £36k current £16590