They say I appealed late

shaz45shaz45 Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi I’m looking for some advice. 
I appealed a parking fine from UKCPS which was £60. I never received a reply to my appeal just a letter stating that I now owed the £130. I queried the letter and received another stating that my appeal failed but not only that, my appeal arrived to the company late so therefore my £60 was now £130 but reduced to £100 if I was to pay within 10 days. 
I can’t prove that I sent my appeal within the stated time other than to say “why would I appeal pass the stated time limit as it would be pointless”. And also Royal Mail having been spot on with their first class delivery. It was something like 4 days late apparently. 
It then basically states at the bottom of the letter, that they’d not be entering into any further correspondence. So I assume it’s just “Pay Up”. 
I accept the appeal failed but I think it’s unfair to increase the fine when I know I sent the appeal within the stated time. 
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you 

Replies

• edited 29 October 2020 at 3:06PM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    36.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2020 at 3:06PM
    Save it for court , unless you can get a landowner cancellation , plan A in the newbies FAQ sticky thread near the top of the forum

It's not a fine , it's an invoice
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • D_P_DanceD_P_Dance Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, sometimes it can lead to cancellation.,

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers. On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, and hopefully this will become law shortly

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • edited 29 October 2020 at 6:48PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2020 at 6:48PM
    I've no idea why you think it matters - UKCPS would never have accepted an appeal anyway.  It was pointless.  This is an IPC firm. There is no appeal but they are not worthy of paying money to.  No more contacting them.

You really need to read the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Were_DoomedWere_Doomed Forumite
    700 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Does the IPC code of practice specify a maximum PCN charge of £100? Just curious where they get £130 from. (I know they use a random number generator when raising a court claim, but PCN charges are usually consistent).
  • D_P_DanceD_P_Dance Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the IPC code of practice specify a maximum PCN charge of £100?

Why not read it yourself?
  • Were_DoomedWere_Doomed Forumite
    700 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Because I've got better things to do T_D, someone may already know, and so they may agree (or otherwise) that the PCN had no lawful basis if it exceed their ATA's CoP. 😜
  • edited 30 October 2020 at 9:17AM
    fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2020 at 9:17AM
    Because I've got better things to do T_D, someone may already know, and so they may agree (or otherwise) that the PCN had no lawful basis if it exceed their ATA's CoP. 😜

PPC's and the IPC make up their own rules to gain maximum benefit for themselves, and maybe the volunteers on here have better things to do than lead you by the hand through this, you certainly need to do a lot of research yourself.
    You are mistaken at the outset calling this a "fine" which it isn't.
  • edited 30 October 2020 at 9:17AM
    D_P_DanceD_P_Dance Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2020 at 9:17AM
    Because I've got better things to do T_D,

So have we.  This is a self help forum, if you are not prepared to help yourself I fear that you may struggle on this board.     
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys - @Were_Doomed is a veteran forum 'bod' who's caught a second red card and had to Do_ A_ Move to stay with us. 🤫
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.