return?

edited 29 October 2020 at 11:24AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
17 replies 441 views
messia07messia07 Forumite
194 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
 :| 
i sold a pair of £80 boots on ebay to a newer buyer, they arrived.. via message, the buyer thanked me, said they were "gorgeous" but stated they were to small for them. when i asked for feedback, they refused to leave it and implied they wanted a refund.. my listing stated "no refunds" but reading how ebay refunds can become a headache ( ive never done one), i stated they would need to request a refund via "wrong size" etc. 
.... now the problem is, i just checked this persons ebay listings and they have listed the same boots for sale.

i sent a message stating i've seen the listing, that they clearly intend to sell the boots and again asking for feedback.
am i correct in now refusing a refund?  ( i'm already down fees and postage costs  :/)

Replies

• messia07messia07 Forumite
    194 Posts
    just to add, no ebay refund request has been made yet.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until they open a claim I would ignore them. If they have opened a case though then you need to take action.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

194 Posts
    Until they open a claim I would ignore them. If they have opened a case though then you need to take action.

thanks for replying.
    would the fact they listed the item for sale go against them in a ebay claim? 
  • olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    messia07 said:

thanks for replying.
    would the fact they listed the item for sale go against them in a ebay claim? 
    Probably not, because eBay would say that there is no proof that the boots are the same ones. 

If they haven't opened a case, wait until they do (but it appears that they are going to resell them). And personally, I would stop asking for feedback/stop messaging the buyer altogether.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth are you asking for feedback.  To ask is bad enough but to then look at their listings and mention what they are selling is asking for trouble.  Your buyer has done what any good buyer will do when buying something that isn't suitable but isn't SNAD.  They've resold them.  Do not give them reason to leave you a big red dot.  Leave them alone. 
    I agree, OP, you need to understand eBay a little better before you sell again, you seem to have caused a problem where none existed.

Firstly, never ask for feedback, Never ever. Leave well alone, perhaps if you hadn’t asked for feedback they wouldn’t have mentioned the sizing and none of this would have happened. 

You then compounded that error by suggesting they open a SNAD - why did you do that? If you mean you think you sent the wrong size or were at fault then fair enough that was the right thing to do, but if the buyer just doesn’t fit them or it is a change of mind return you needn’t have volunteered that. If a case is now opened you get to pay for tracked return postage plus get to refund your buyer in full for original cost, so lose postage costs both way. You also lose all your PayPal fees.

Buyer has up to 30 days from last estimated delivery date to open the case you suggested , trying to sell them on doesn’t affect that. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    194 Posts
    the main reason i was asking for feedback was because i thought it help confirms the item arrived and closes the transaction?

i know the advice is to ignore the buyer  but in regards to buying and selling online, i normally have good experiences with people on ebay and to be honest, as i've only ever had a few complaints, which have only ever resulted in partial refunds,..so i don't really know my rights in the case of a requested return (ive read lots of ebay horror stories & thought the buyer always wins?).

no official request has been made yet but i had another ebay message, confirming she listed the boots in case i refused to offer a return and has asked for my address. - as they are still listed for sale and someone is bidding, i have now refused to now offer one. 

194 Posts
    soolin said:
    Why on earth are you asking for feedback.  To ask is bad enough but to then look at their listings and mention what they are selling is asking for trouble.  Your buyer has done what any good buyer will do when buying something that isn't suitable but isn't SNAD.  They've resold them.  Do not give them reason to leave you a big red dot.  Leave them alone. 
    I agree, OP, you need to understand eBay a little better before you sell again, you seem to have caused a problem where none existed.

Firstly, never ask for feedback, Never ever. Leave well alone, perhaps if you hadn’t asked for feedback they wouldn’t have mentioned the sizing and none of this would have happened. 

You then compounded that error by suggesting they open a SNAD - why did you do that? If you mean you think you sent the wrong size or were at fault then fair enough that was the right thing to do, but if the buyer just doesn’t fit them or it is a change of mind return you needn’t have volunteered that. If a case is now opened you get to pay for tracked return postage plus get to refund your buyer in full for original cost, so lose postage costs both way. You also lose all your PayPal fees.

Buyer has up to 30 days from last estimated delivery date to open the case you suggested , trying to sell them on doesn’t affect that. 

my listing did not accept returns but i thought i may be forced to offer one by ebay until i spotted she herself had listed them for sale. 

just to confirm, they were not the wrong size, the condition/descriptions was correct..she just claimed they didn't fit her. 

but point taken, i will keep future ebay communication to a minimum and never ask for feedback. 

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    messia07 said:
    the main reason i was asking for feedback was because i thought it help confirms the item arrived and closes the transaction?
    No - there is no such thing as 'closes the transaction',  you could still get a case opened for up to 180 days from sale.

messia07 said:
    i know the advice is to ignore the buyer  but in regards to buying and selling online, i normally have good experiences with people on ebay and to be honest, as i've only ever had a few complaints, which have only ever resulted in partial refunds,..so i don't really know my rights in the case of a requested return (ive read lots of ebay horror stories & thought the buyer always wins?).
    No one suggested you ignore the buyer.  But don't harass them into leaving feedback.

messia07 said:
    my listing did not accept returns but i thought i may be forced to offer one by ebay until i spotted she herself had listed them for sale. 

just to confirm, they were not the wrong size, the condition/descriptions was correct..she just claimed they didn't fit her. 

but point taken, i will keep future ebay communication to a minimum and never ask for feedback. 

Not accepting returns lead to all sorts of issues with false SNAD.  Even if she has listed them on ebay she can still open a case - albeit she would likely have to return them to you to get a refund.  If she did/does open a SNAD then you will pay the returns postage and you will lose out on the original postage as she will be entitled to a full refund.

Don't confuse communication with feedback.  By all means give great customer service but do not ever ask for feedback.  
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    messia07 said:
    soolin said:

From your OP 
     but reading how ebay refunds can become a headache ( ive never done one), i stated they would need to request a refund via "wrong size" etc. 

Basically you have told them to open a SNAD case which will cost you two lots of postage. By all means accept returns, but if you do it on the basis of a buyer changing their mind you only lose the outward postage and paypal FVFs and buyer pays their own return costs. However, you need that stated clearly as a return policy in advance to insist on it. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide