Continuation of claim past renewal date

Options
Hi all,
I have read other stories and appreciate that we have been rather fortunate to have had valid insurance cover for cancelled bookings for our holiday cottage. NFU have paid out almost without question on a monthly basis. However, my renewal date is looming and I'm told that they will not continue to cover this part of my insurance past renewal date. My question is this, as an existing claim, can an insurance company just stop paying on renewal date? It seems rather inequitable given that the renewal date could be any date. 
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So an insurer is obliged to deal with all claims that fall within the period of insurance... for most insurance in the UK that will mean the event that triggered the loss occurred in the period of cover (ie you were notified of the cancellation) and to continue managing those claims through to conclusion even if the policy is not renewed.

However, an insurance policy is only for the period stated on the schedule and an insurer is under no obligation to offer a renewal in most circumstances (a few industry agreements do exist for things like subsidence) and therefore if they chose not to offer a renewal they are under no obligation to deal with claims that fall outside the period of insurance (ie a cancellation that happens after the policy lapses).

There are a number of insurers in the travel, events, ASU etc space that have effectively withdrawn from the market for those product lines due to adverse claims experience and so are not offering renewals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback