How to value and sell cut glass, Crown Derby, Royal Worchester and other valuable collectables

My family and I have a lot of valuable items from cut glass vases, bowls, Crystal glasses, Royal Worchester, Crown Derby and many other ornamental and collectable items. We do not have the room for them so we wish to sell them but to someone who appreciates their value and worth. I have no idea where to start in order to get a trustworthy valuation of them and where or how to sell them where I would not get ripped off.

Replies

• edited 27 October 2020 at 10:14AM
    JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 October 2020 at 10:14AM
    Your local auction house will be able to tell you their current worth.  Or have a look on e-bay for selling prices.  They are only worth what someone is willing to pay.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2021 - £1 a day challenge £650/£638.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366..
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    SWatson01 said:
    My family and I have a lot of valuable items from cut glass vases, bowls, Crystal glasses, Royal Worchester, Crown Derby and many other ornamental and collectable items. We do not have the room for them so we wish to sell them but to someone who appreciates their value and worth. I have no idea where to start in order to get a trustworthy valuation of them and where or how to sell them where I would not get ripped off.
    This was my market and the news isn't good, this sort of item is barely worth pennies in the pound from what it cost to buy originally. Only 2 weeks ago I bought a mixed lot from auction as I wanted one piece from the box that I knew I had a buyer for, the box cost me £10 before buyers commission, and it had several dartington and other high end crystal vases and bowls- and I have sold a few of those already for £2-£3 for collection only on facebook- and the rest will go to the charity shop. Nowadays people don't want glass nick nacks and bowls- none of my adult sons would even consider having anything like that in their houses- and the older collectors are dying off.

Some Crown Derby is still worth money- the Imari pattern is still collected , and the animal paperweights do still have a following- although prices depend on the colour of the base stamp. Royal Worcester is a difficult market and a few bits can still be worth something but it is hit and miss. 

As above a local auction house should be able to help you, but remember to check their fees and costs before you opt to list with them. Also bear in mind that auction houses tend to sell to dealers- so they will be looking to buy cheap to resell themselves. Also- ebay sold items )not listed) can give you a good idea of what sells and what does not.

I'm off to an auction house now actually, I have 2 or 3 things I bought cheaply in mixed lots that I think may be worth a closer look- and they are completely out of my area of expertise and I don't know if the very high ebay sold prices are realistic or not! 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Dark_StarDark_Star Forumite
    592 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I completely agree with Soolin & would also advise that many collectables do not sell for a lot even in charity shops (I volunteer in one & see tons of stuff like this). Stuff like the blue jasper Wedgwood goes for peanuts. Glass anything unless exceedingly high end/sought after brand - not a lot. Vintage china stuff probably £5ish depending on what it is. Kitsch sells. Old china  - unlikely unless vintage plates & similarly useful items.
    Stuff that my mother in law has by the bucket load of twee little knick-knacks & doodahs - goes for absolutely bog all. 
    I also saw umpteen boxes of assorted china "stuff" just like Soolin described in my local auction house today. The mixed boxes don't often go for much.
    The under 30 generation don't want stuff like this & my mother in law's generation (70+) are not collecting as much as they've probably got what they want. The rest of us don't need it either...
    As for Eternal Beau....(on every 80's wedding list)....nope!
    Probably best to go to your local auctions & see what sells. If you have it - great. If not - charity/freecycle etc. 
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark_Star said:
    I completely agree with Soolin & would also advise that many collectables do not sell for a lot even in charity shops (I volunteer in one & see tons of stuff like this). Stuff like the blue jasper Wedgwood goes for peanuts. Glass anything unless exceedingly high end/sought after brand - not a lot. Vintage china stuff probably £5ish depending on what it is. Kitsch sells. Old china  - unlikely unless vintage plates & similarly useful items.
    Stuff that my mother in law has by the bucket load of twee little knick-knacks & doodahs - goes for absolutely bog all. 
    I also saw umpteen boxes of assorted china "stuff" just like Soolin described in my local auction house today. The mixed boxes don't often go for much.
    The under 30 generation don't want stuff like this & my mother in law's generation (70+) are not collecting as much as they've probably got what they want. The rest of us don't need it either...
    As for Eternal Beau....(on every 80's wedding list)....nope!
    Probably best to go to your local auctions & see what sells. If you have it - great. If not - charity/freecycle etc. 
    Blue jasperware Wedgwood breaks my heart, I used to collect it when I could afford it and a little trinket dish might set me back £10. As you say you can’t give it away now , I was selling it at 50p a piece at a car boot and even then no one wanted it. I did buy some black jasper last year as it was very cheap and made a bit on it , but only because I sold a lot of it in bulk To another dealer who ships stuff back to his home in Russia. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • hb2hb2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The blue jasper Wedgewood breaks my heart too - I used to collect a little when I was in my teens and twenties, saving up to buy pieces and, has been said, you pretty much have to pay people to take it off your hands these days! The same with many of my Mum's and MIL's 'treasures' which were virtually worthless by the time they came to me. Some things I kept for sentimental reasons, but most were given to charity shops and sold for peanuts.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • BargainJunkyBargainJunky Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Like everyone else has said sadly what we all know and love is no longer in fashion and rarely sells for anything.  I used to collect Coalport Ladies paying around £100 each they are worth very little now and apart from one of them I would happily get rid of them if money could be made.  My advise would be to check on Ebay first as occasionally that tiny little thing that you think is worthless tat turns out to be a gem in disguise.  A few years ago I nearly dumped part of an ancient gift set of perfume/talc - I was going to gift the talc and dump the rest to my horror it sold on Ebay for £50+.  Only yesterday I was about to sell an unused bag from when my son was young on Facebook along with a bundle of unused stocking fillers I checked Ebay to see that the bags are selling for £10+.  Its not always the old stuff that is worth money so my advice is basically check everything.
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Like everyone else has said sadly what we all know and love is no longer in fashion and rarely sells for anything.  I used to collect Coalport Ladies paying around £100 each they are worth very little now and apart from one of them I would happily get rid of them if money could be made.  My advise would be to check on Ebay first as occasionally that tiny little thing that you think is worthless tat turns out to be a gem in disguise.  A few years ago I nearly dumped part of an ancient gift set of perfume/talc - I was going to gift the talc and dump the rest to my horror it sold on Ebay for £50+.  Only yesterday I was about to sell an unused bag from when my son was young on Facebook along with a bundle of unused stocking fillers I checked Ebay to see that the bags are selling for £10+.  Its not always the old stuff that is worth money so my advice is basically check everything.
    I completely agree, it is strange things that sell , I sold some original still sealed bedding branded for M and S when they used St Michael brand, tracked down the pattern and it dated from the 1970s, Got something daft like £45 for a double sheet . Actually that was a brilliant lot from an auction , paid very little for a box of new but vintage linen, looked like the contents of someone’s airing cupboard except new, all dated from the 1970s, I couldn’t list it fast enough , sheets, pillowcases, towel sets, even Irish linen tea towels . Made an absolute fortune and I only bought it as there was a dark tablecloth that caught my eye to be used for repurposing ! 

I’ve got a couple of bits lotted at an auction at the moment, strange items but I just knew they were worth researching , and the auctioneer agreed with me and has put some very good estimates on them. Meanwhile I have just got back from the charity shop dropping off some tarnished silver plate, more things that no one wants. 

New to Forum? Guide