Seller cancelled order after I paid...........

Hello

Newbie on this board.

I won a lot and paid immediately.  Today the seller has refunded me saying that the lot did not go for the price she wanted.  She also admits that she forgot to put a reserve.  Can she do this ?

many thanks 

bala
AKA : Bala La Boo & Bala Baloo

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello

Newbie on this board.

I won a lot and paid immediately.  Today the seller has refunded me saying that the lot did not go for the price she wanted.  She also admits that she forgot to put a reserve.  Can she do this ?

many thanks 

bala
    It is against eBay rules but that doesn’t mean seller can’t Actually do it. The cancellation has cost your Seller their PayPal fees, and depending on how she cancelled, also their eBay fees. You can make a complaint against the seller and also leave appropriate feedback, remember feedback is to warn future potential buyers, so a non positive suggesting that seller cancels sales when they fail to reach their preferred price level, might be appropriate. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • balabooberliesbalabooberlies Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Aaahhhhh

thank you.  Am always reluctant to leave negative feed back.  But will think on it as it seems unfair.

bala
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaahhhhh

thank you.  Am always reluctant to leave negative feed back.  But will think on it as it seems unfair.

bala
    In this instance a negative would certainly not be unreasonable - it's not like they had to cancel because the item got broken. Once they realised they forgot to put on a reserve they should have ended the listing, or just accepted that it may go for less than they hoped.

Either way, other buyers need to be warned that they can't rely on this seller to fulfill their side of the contract. You should also report them to eBay.
  • I'm always surprised that sellers still don't realise to start at the lowest price they will accept.
    Old username Taadaa, seems l went over the virtual rainbow bridge. 
    Total unsecured debt January 2020: £36k current £16852
    Credit card £0 Sept 2020 (First time in adult life!)
    Loan 1: Sept 2020 £12200  June 2021 £0
    The final battle 
    Loan 2: June 2021 £16602
    MFW: Nov 2007 @ £17000 June 2021 £82634
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭

This is the message I sent to the lady.........

Hello 
    this is very disappointing. I won the auction fair and square. The contract should be honored.
    This is against Ebay rules and the advice I was given today was that I should report it. Also that I should warn other buyers in feedback.

I have never done either of these things before. I am only sorry that I have been put in this position.

Kind regards
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................
    This was the response...................
    Hello 

I understand the frustration but some of the items are sentimental and I’d rather not let them go for less than they’re worth. I do have the right to cancel the transaction the same as a buyer has the right to cancel.
    Again I’m very sorry for cancelling but it’s not sat right with me how little it all went for.

Sincerest apologies
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mentioning feedback to the seller was not a good move, one of the ways a seller can get poor feedback removed is to threaten it beforehand . Best just to report and leave feedback, the seller was obviously not the type to worry about goodwill or behaving properly to buyers. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Soolin

as mentioned have not been in this position before.  Reading my message back I certainly didn't mean to sound threatening but can see how I did.  Just so disappointed.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.
  • This_YearThis_Year Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I complained to ebay once after a seller cancelled my order (and sent me an lengthy abusive message accusing me of being someone else trying to ruin her account) and ebay sent me a £5 off voucher for my next purchase of anything. I wouldn't normally have complained but the unwarranted message was so appalling that I wanted them to be aware. Its scary to think that some people walk among us. 
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all

Normally I walk away from this kind of thing.  Complaining gets my gander up and causes me stress even if I am right.  But this time I feel genuinely that I should complain.  Still thinking about it.
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would complain, at the very ;least feedback needs to be left to warn other buyers that they might be wasting their time with this seller. 
    New to Forum? Guide