We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
Is there an official statement from the NHS regarding non-urgent and non-Covid specialist referrals?
17 replies 451 views
My GP referred me last November 2019 to a NHS specialist for an non-urgent issue. I don't want to descend to detail but it's urology related. I was given a generic 18 week target (we know it was officially scrapped a few years ago, but...) which would have ended in early March 2020, well before the lockdown. I asked my GP practice to liaise with the specialist service (I am not allowed to contact them directly) and the latter replied in mid April saying that "we are satisfied the issue is not urgent. Advice paracetamol" [sic]. No mention from the specialist service of how long the queue is and it the services were suspended.
Fast forward to today, it has been more than a year since my condition was diagnosed and it's not getting better and, in my opinion, it's getting significantly worse. I wrote an email to my practice last week and they haven't replied yet. I don't know if my condition has become urgent or not, but I know it's making me very worried and it is impacting both my mental health and my sex and social life.
On one hand, I feel guilty because we are in the middle of a global pandemic and we know there are cancer patients who have been waiting for over a year. I would just be happy if the NHS just told me how long I should wait and if there is any immediate danger to my health. I was also planning to relocate and I haven't done it yet for fear of resetting the waiting list, but at this point I feel I have nothing to lose. Or I could go private and that would cost me a fortune.
I have no clue how I should go on and what to do with this issue. Any advice will be appreciated.