Council Tax / Universal Credit - Starting work again

I'm currently claiming both Universal Credit and council tax benefit after losing my job earlier this year.  I have a new job lined up but no start date given as yet.  At what point do I need to inform the council / job centre that I will no longer be eligible for benefits?  Is it when I get my start date or when I first get paid?  It could be a whole month after my start date before I receive any income. Thanks.


  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    UC will depend on your income and when you receive your wages. Report a change on your UC journal when you start, then when your wages are automatically reported (your employer reports to HMRC who then pass that info on to DWP) they'll calculate your award for that month. No point closing your claim until it closes itself, really.

    I don't know when you should inform the council, others will be able to advise.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You'll need to report the changes to your local council once you start working.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals