Universal credit advice please

Hello,
So I am a 49yr old mum of an 9yr old. I need to be around for him before and after school and ofcourse through the many holidays and sick days that come with having a school aged child.
I am going to need to apply for universal credit for us and am the main carer. I have been looking for term time positions or flexible working hours. I have zero care support (no-one lives near me) .... so I have been thinking of setting up a small craft business from home .... until he is older. I can earn only a meager earning from this but at least it fits around my parenting. 

How many hours must I work as a parent to an 9yr old school aged child to get Universal credit? How much must I earn working self employed in profit to make this work for me ?
I am not looking for a free ride... just something that works for my family for now until I can do more. Any advice on the self employed / small business route on the UC would be so so appreciated, thank you  x

(Also has anyone managed to work for avon and get universal credit ... I know you can earn almost nothing on avon. Its really just a question of juggling time and family commitments while keeping head above water for me at this point.)

Replies

• KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There are no hour requirements on UC. You seem to be mixing that up with the old
    working tax credits which did require people
    to work.

Im not an expert on self employment and UC but I believe after a year you will be expected to be making full time NMW from your business. You can’t just run a hobby business and not make any money and still get UC. At this point they will make you look for paid employment which will make you money. 
    The year MAY get extended due to corona but, who knows. It’s not a long term plan though by any means.

I doubt Avon will be counted in the self
    employment. It won’t stop you getting UC (unless you earnt enough) but it wouldn’t halt the job search requirements.
  • edited 29 September 2020 at 8:13AM
    debbiedodge1737debbiedodge1737 Forumite
    95 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2020 at 8:13AM
    I plan on making money .... wouldn't do it otherwise. But it wouldn't be a huge profit by any means.

• edited 29 September 2020 at 8:22AM
    KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2020 at 8:22AM
    I plan on making money .... wouldn't do it otherwise. But it wouldn't be a huge profit by any means.

They will only accept you making under NMW for a year. After that they will say that you are not gainfully self employed and make you seek work which will pay you NMW for the hours worked. 

There is lots of help with childcare available too. I don’t believe once children are over 5 there are any concessions to looking for full time work, but getting a part time job with income can help to lower/remove the work search requirements. 

Are you planning on quitting your job for this? A recent post of yours mentions you are working, the advice given may change if you are currently in a job which you are going to leave? 

• debbiedodge1737debbiedodge1737 Forumite
    95 Posts
    Forumite
    nope .... just working on this little idea ... I've been trying to get off the ground. That's all .... the comment was on a weightloss thread.... I literally could have been talking about DIY for all I remember.
  • edited 29 September 2020 at 8:56AM
    pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2020 at 8:56AM
    Applying for UC means that you have to sign up to a claimant commitment in order to receive it.
    As you have a child aged 9 years and you are the main carer then you would be expected to look for work up to 25 hrs a week.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit/Claimant-Commitment-Conditionality#Child
    As regards self employment, as already said, you would have a year to make your business viable.  This means that you would eventually be expected to earn NMW x 25 hrs per week.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-income-and-capital/Self-employed-earnings#:~:text=When%20you%20are%20self%20employed%20and%20you%20claim,are%20treated%20as%20earning%20the%20minimum%20income%20floor.
    95 Posts
    Forumite
    When you say up to 25hrs a week , do you mean 25hrs and over to keep the claim? Thank you for this information. My circumstances have changed rapidly and I am not looking to flout the system and work on a 'Hobby' whilst they pay me. I am looking to keep our heads above water while I work things out.  But earning 25hrs nmw seems achievable in a year .... or by them I may well find a flexible position I am qualified (by then maybe) to do. Its just the now I'm thinking of. 

So stressful.
    Thanks

• pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    13K Posts
    Forumite
    When you say up to 25hrs a week , do you mean 25hrs and over to keep the claim? Thank you for this information. My circumstances have changed rapidly and I am not looking to flout the system and work on a 'Hobby' whilst they pay me. I am looking to keep our heads above water while I work things out.  But earning 25hrs nmw seems achievable in a year .... or by them I may well find a flexible position I am qualified (by then maybe) to do. Its just the now I'm thinking of. 

So stressful.
    Thanks

You need to work at least 25 hrs.  Have you read the link?

Useful link here about self employment.  Being an Avon lady, I believe, would count as self employment.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/903316/admh4.pdf
  • pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    13K Posts
    Forumite
    Why don't you just apply for Universal Credit?  A work coach will contact you eventually and will guide you through your claimant commitment.
  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Forumite

They will only accept you making under NMW for a year. After that they will say that you are not gainfully self employed and make you seek work which will pay you NMW for the hours worked. 
    That's not quite correct.
    After the 12 month period you are either
    1) Treated as self employed in which case you are assumed to be earning at least NMW for the number of hours you are expected to work and UC is calculated on this assumed income. If you earn more than NMW then the actual figure is used. If you are being treated as self employed there are no work search requirements
    2) you are treated as a jobseeker subject to job search requirements. UC will be calculated based on actual income and there may be a reduction in the job search requirement to reflect the (ancillary) self employment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    95 Posts
    Forumite
    Why don't you just apply for Universal Credit?  A work coach will contact you eventually and will guide you through your claimant commitment.
    I'm just trying to be informed ... things in life have changed and I am trying to work out what to do for the best. I will probably be doing this soon though. Thank you