Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

Wife’s fitness lightbulb moment

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Wife’s fitness lightbulb moment

edited 22 September at 7:28AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
86 replies 3.9K views
MrGorskyMrGorsky Forumite
98 posts
10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 22 September at 7:28AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
 Bit of a strange one this. Yesterday we sold my wife’s bicycle on gumtree, for £170. Great for our debt free effort. However it has triggered a fitness light bulb moment. We bought this bike 6 months ago, for my wife aged 35. The reason for selling is she won’t ride it due to becoming extremely out of breath . She’s quite overweight, read fat (curvy and very pretty ;p) at 5ft 2 and 19 andA half stone) and has no intention of slimming down. Her diet isn’t great, think pizza and chocolate as her favourite foods. She’s also a smoker, she reckons 30 a day, and nothing in the world will change that, she loves it. The big realisation is that she’s giving up on active past times. A few weeks ago we went for a moderate walk in the hills, and had to turn back as she was tired and gasping for air albeit that didn’t prevent her lighting a cigarette.  She has been to the doctors, who say she’s fine, obviously highlighting her high body fat %, I guess we just need to stick to flat walks and other less strenuous activities.
DFW. £59k debt cleared in 2017. £25k debt cleared in 2019. Then bought a house, and got £70k new debt in 2019. Total of £154k unsecured debt, with now £40k left to clear. Aiming for Nov 2021 debt free date.

Replies

• comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who had the lightbulb moment?  You or your wife?  It's her that needs to have it and want to do something about it.
  • MrGorskyMrGorsky Forumite
    98 posts
    It’s my light bulb moment that active past times maybe a thing of the past, and that I should consider her fitness more when suggesting things. I think she’s fairly accepting and has chosen to get joy from nice food and cigarettes as opposed to  ... say bike riding. She’s happy
    DFW. £59k debt cleared in 2017. £25k debt cleared in 2019. Then bought a house, and got £70k new debt in 2019. Total of £154k unsecured debt, with now £40k left to clear. Aiming for Nov 2021 debt free date.
  • edited 22 September at 8:22AM
    helensbiggestfanhelensbiggestfan Forumite
    820 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 September at 8:22AM
    I am a very late convert to exercise. Hated sport all my life, including bike rides.  😂.  

Finally I had my lightbulb moment. I am pushing 70 and have started exercising regularly. I love it now - never thought I'd say that.  😂🤣

The trick is find something your wife actually enjoys.  If it's a slog and a chore then she won't do it.  It has to be enjoyable and fun. 

How about dancing......it is a good cardio workout, more to the point it's fun. 😁There is no way on this earth you would get me to ride a bike or go running but I will happily dance my legs off.    

Then There's tai chi, yoga or pilates for core strength, suppleness, flexibility and balance. You don't need equipment and there are loads of videos on you tube, or channels like Netflix, Prime etc. 

Later she can add in hand weights and a resistance band for strength training.  

No need for expensive equipment or the hassle of going to the gym.  And there is absolutely no need for her to force herself to do something she plainly doesn't enjoy.  

Dance with her and make it fun.  

98 posts

Thanks HBF. I mean this is the opposite to adapting our life to match her fitness, but I like the idea. Your twice her age and engaging in it. I’ll suggest it, YouTube on the tv and dancing shoes on in the living room. Great idea.
  • edited 22 September at 9:31AM
    helensbiggestfanhelensbiggestfan Forumite
    820 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 22 September at 9:31AM
    Good luck........

Remember it's never too late to make a fresh start.  If I can do it, anyone can.  

Just edited to add......I also decided to tackle my weight last year, when I was 68. I lost 3 stones.  

I guess you wife is probably feeling a little downhearted and probably overwhelmed but in all honesty it's never too late  .....just take it slow but sure and try to make it fun.  Celebrate the little wins.

Edited to add.......Noticed your signature. You've done so well on clearing your debts.  It can't have been easy, for either of you. Maybe now that your wife can see your debt free date on the horizon she will feel better about herself and more inclined to start thinking about her health and fitness.  
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • ciaccinociaccino Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    MrGorsky said:
     . She’s quite overweight [...] and has no intention of slimming down. Her diet isn’t great, think pizza and chocolate as her favourite foods. She’s also a smoker, she reckons 30 a day, and nothing in the world will change that, she loves it.
    To be fair, even intense cycling wouldn't change that. It's a problem of attitude rather than physical exercise.

• helensbiggestfanhelensbiggestfan Forumite
    820 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think thats true, ciaccino...

Weight loss means a change of eating habits, fitness is down to exercise.  

Ideally MrsG needs to do both but maybe that might be too much in one go which is why I suggested start with something that is enjoyable like dance.   
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrGorsky said:

Thanks HBF. I mean this is the opposite to adapting our life to match her fitness, but I like the idea. Your twice her age and engaging in it. I’ll suggest it, YouTube on the tv and dancing shoes on in the living room. Great idea.
    If you keep adapting your lifestyle to match her fitness, that is probably going to mean her becoming less and less fit and doing less and less. You say she is happy with this, but is that what she really wants - to not be able to do anything enjoyable out of doors that doesn't involve sitting in a car? 
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started Zumba Gold as an exercise novice and had terrific fun. 6 months later I moved to regular Zumba and thanks to lockdown was able to increase weekly classes to 2.

Zumba Gold is a version designed for older adults or those with health problems. Zumba Gold seated is the easiest version but still a good workout. 

I found after I was an exercise regular I made further improvements to what I was eating as I didn't want to undo my hard work! 
    98 posts
    ciaccino said:
    MrGorsky said:
     . She’s quite overweight [...] and has no intention of slimming down. Her diet isn’t great, think pizza and chocolate as her favourite foods. She’s also a smoker, she reckons 30 a day, and nothing in the world will change that, she loves it.
    To be fair, even intense cycling wouldn't change that. It's a problem of attitude rather than physical exercise.
    I think I/we've silently accepted that she's not changing her lifestyle, as she enjoys it too much. I don't think its a problem of attitude, just a different attitude. But I agree, that if the aim was to become fit, no amount of cycling would offset the food or cigarettes. I think the aim here is to find a balanced lifestyle and activities we can enjoy.