Baillie Gifford Investment Trust

New Post Advanced Search

Baillie Gifford Investment Trust

28 replies 1.4K views
StormontBoyStormontBoy Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
As a first time investor, I would appreciate any advice.  I have £12,000 to invest and research has shown Baillie Gifford investment trusts to be successful.  I am considering the American fund however would be grateful for any thoughts from more experienced investors.  Also which platform - nutmeg or Hargreaves Lansdowne.  Thank you.

Replies

• AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it will be cheaper to hold on HL. (would this be in an ISA?)  I dont use Nutmeg but i understand its charges are relatively high?
    I wouldnt buy the American fund, why be restricted to a single country? Why not let the experienced BG managers pick from what they think are the best companies in the world?
    After all, if they think they are all American, you'll get the performance of the American IT anyway. But if they dont (and if they are right ! ) you'll get better performance with a global fund.

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    74.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What form did your research take, other than looking at past performance tables? 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
     I have £12,000 to invest and research has shown Baillie Gifford investment trusts to be successful.  I am considering the American fund 

One of the highest risk US funds available.  Great as a satellite fund to your core US holding unless you are quite happy to allocate your whole US weighting to that fund.     
    What about all the other sectors?  You have only mentioned US equity in your post. 

Also which platform - nutmeg or Hargreaves Lansdowne.  Thank you.

Nutmeg is not a platform.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • StormontBoyStormontBoy Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you for your comments.  I researched mostly online and via Sunday newspapers but think some more research is required!
  • grumiofoundationgrumiofoundation Forumite
    978 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    As a first time investor, I would appreciate any advice.  I have £12,000 to invest and research has shown Baillie Gifford investment trusts to be successful.  I am considering the American fund however would be grateful for any thoughts from more experienced investors.  Also which platform - nutmeg or Hargreaves Lansdowne.  Thank you.
    You can't invest in specific funds/trusts, e.g. BG american fund through nutmeg, you invest in the portfolios they make for you based on your attitude to risk.

• cfw1994cfw1994 Forumite
    894 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    What form did your research take, other than looking at past performance tables? 
    When you have the “future performance tables”, please share!!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • PrismPrism Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    cfw1994 said:
    There are other things you can research like the manager's investment approach, some specifics on individual companies within the fund, volatility, yearly transaction costs and portfolio turnover, past performance during crashes etc. 
  • SailtheworldSailtheworld Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Prism said:
    cfw1994 said:
    There are other things you can research like the manager's investment approach, some specifics on individual companies within the fund, volatility, yearly transaction costs and portfolio turnover, past performance during crashes etc. 
    Prism said:
    cfw1994 said:
    Question. Do you think people using best buy tables do this additional research starting from the top and working down or vice versa?

They might think they're carrying out valuable due diligence but it's fairly obvious past performance is the driver. If you're fund number 14 on the list you may as well go home.
  • edited 14 September at 12:57PM
    aroominyorkaroominyork Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 September at 12:57PM
    Prism said:
    cfw1994 said:
    Question. Do you think people using best buy tables do this additional research starting from the top and working down or vice versa?

They might think they're carrying out valuable due diligence but it's fairly obvious past performance is the driver. If you're fund number 14 on the list you may as well go home.

If your only research consists of checking which fund has been top of the pops in the recent past – during a growth-driven bull market – then of course you don’t need to look past No 1 in the charts. But backing Slade in the early 1970s would have looked like a bad bet once the mid 70s came around.

I recently decided my Developed Europe investments were too mid cap focused so I sold my one Europe-specific fund – Barings Europe Select – and will this week buy Fidelity European. Looking at the Trustnet charts, over the last ten years Fidelity has ranked 12/74, over five years 13/95, over three years 16/103 and over one year 34/112. If it carries on being in the bottom half of the top quartile I will be perfectly happy.

• edited 14 September at 1:22PM
    RolandFlaggRolandFlagg Forumite
    54 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 14 September at 1:22PM
    AJ Bell maybe cheaper than HL, and if you have £4k or more with AJBell (AKA Youinvest) you get Shares Magazine free every week (for what it's worth).