Long term illness

Hi
I am on long term sick due to a serious back injury. My company has a reasonable sickness policy where I have had 3 months on full pay. Now i am on half pay for 6 months. After this an insurance company takes over for 2 years and I believe I would no longer be an employee. The info i have seen states they will keep paying half pay for another 2 years and then pay redundancy. HR cant currently help with details due to staff issues.
If there is anyone who has any info on these Insurance policies and could tell me how they work. Also if redundancy payment at the end is gov statutory or possible my companies enhanced redundancy term .
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Hi - I am not sure why you would not be an employee after the 6 months half pay. If you are off on sick leave you will gain the company sick pay and I suspect after that period your insurance cover will kick in but you still remain an employee.   Your sick pay and your employment are almost separate unless your employment ends before the insurance payments start. It is difficult to comment on the detail but often insurances kick in and continue to pay an employee until they return to work or recover.   But this cover tends to apply once the insurance takes effect so if you are on company sick pay and made redundant or exited due to 'some of reason' and the insurance hasn't started then it will not likely to cover you but if you are not an employee.  But if youo are employed and covered by the insurance then the chances are your insurance cover will continue under the terms of the said cover if that makes sense even if you are no longer an employee.   Based on what you have said it appears they will pay 2 years and then redundancy which sounds a little odd. Most insurances I have seen continue to pay until you recover or return to work.    But you may want to check the terms of the insurance and perhaps ask them if HR are not able to help as I am not sure why the insurance co would pay redundancy pay as that is not their responsibility. 

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,472
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Jobs are redundant not people. So only if your job is no longer required by your employer, could you be selected for redundancy. However it does seem possible your employer could dismiss you on capability grounds, you would receive your notice payment but would not be entitled to any redundancy payment.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback